Tuesday, May 10, 2011

the two cars. with many tastes alike.No. Gavuzzi said. and mark a cross on both legs.

 In the jolt of my head I heard somebody crying
 In the jolt of my head I heard somebody crying. I tried to move sideways so that it did not fall on me. I said. Tell me all about it.Truly I tell you something about your good women. We go whorehouse before it shuts. But as long as you drive the cars and behave  and dont talk so other officers can hear. My father is a famous hunter. said Passini and spat on the floor.Is there anything I can do. I said. Were not cloistered.

You.Will you tell her how sorry I amYes. Gavuzzi has your legs. The officers all wore helmets; betterfitting helmets. painted gray and built like moving-vans. It came very fast and the sun went a dull yellow and then everything was gray and the sky was covered and the cloud came on down the mountain and suddenly we were in it and it was snow. Because were going to have a strange life. would you he asked. There were many strong smells. You see I didnt care about the other thing and he could have had it all.It was a ghastly show. The captain was having a great success with finger games.

Whats the matter nowNew rings. I said. when they wouldnt attack and they shot every tenth manNo.Yes. crossed the pontoon bridge. I said. and one day at the end of the fall when I was out where the oak forest had been I saw a cloud coming over the mountain. My Austrian snipers rifle with its blued octagon barrel and the lovely dark walnut. It was that which shook my faith. I like the simpler pleasures.An outside nation cant make you be a soldier. you cant kiss me here.

 I wont kiss you if you dont want. I felt the engine start. the major said. We go whorehouse before it shuts. I asked what time the attack was to he and they said as soon as it was dark. He held up the glass. left the car at the dressing station under the hill. I had a very fine little show and Im all right now. to ride along the road across the plain and deliver the wounded at the two hospitals. havent youBut I lost the truss.Arent you a nurseOh.Cough.

 I held her close against me and could feel her heart beating and her lips opened and her head went back against my hand and then she was crying on my shoulder.Whats wrong with your legIts not my leg. Driving in convoy is not unpleasant if you are the first car and I settled back in the seat and watched the country. I said. Oh Jesus shoot me Christ shoot me mama mia mama Mia oh purest lovely Mary shoot me. and of which I had never heard. Not Bacchus. She did not seem tall walking toward me but she looked very lovely. Evidently it did not matter whether I was there or not. and if the car went especially fast it was probably the King. they stopped them.That doesnt matter.

There is a class that controls a country that is stupid and does not realize anything and never can.Fine. Ill go and see him and ask if he will recommend you. loosely packed cigarettes that spilled tobacco and needed to have the ends twisted before you smoked them.In the ward at the field hospital they told me a visitor was coming to see me in the afternoon. The snow slanted across the wind.Not like the English Not like Miss BarkleyOh. where it was clear cold and dry and the snow was dry and powdery and haretracks in the snow and the peasants took off their hats and called you Lord and there was good hunting. Bring a glass. God. There was one fine cemetery thoughthe one at Pisa. Ill look up their adjutant to do your papers and it will all go much faster.

 It cost fifteen lire. I had not said it before. Naples. I followed his hands with my eyes. My God what would a man do with a woman like that except worship her What else is an Englishwoman good forYou are an ignorant foulmouthed dago. Ill look up their adjutant to do your papers and it will all go much faster. baby. wop. Everybody is proud of you. We caught them and passed them and turned off on a road that climbed up into the hills. and went through the trenches in the smasheddown town and along the edge of the slope.Oh.

 The captain was having a great success with finger games. Theres no work now. I am just more affectionate.I would like to go with you and show you things. I was always able to forget. I would eat quickly and go and see Catherine Barkley.Bacchus. Ill see the medical wallahs. hung over the two beds. but it was not Catherine. One side must stop fighting.Lets drop it anyway.

All bersaglieriI think so. A. I felt something dripping. The lighter was shaped like a Fiat radiator.Dont bring Caruso. Rocca said.At the start of the winter came the permanent rain and with the rain came the cholera. New girls never been to the front before. I turned her so I could see her face when I kissed her and I saw that her eyes were shut.That doesnt matter. holding below the target and trying to master the jerk of the ridiculous short barrel until I could hit within a yard of where I aimed at twenty paces and then the ridiculousness of carrying a pistol at all came over me and I soon forgot it and carried it flopping against the small of my back with no feeling at all except a vague sort of shame when I met Englishspeaking people. It is the captain.

 The shutters were up but it was still going on inside. I sent a couple of army Zona di Guerra postcards. as the road mounted along the ridge. the smashed tunnel by the river where the fighting had been. went downstairs. I tried to breathe but my breath would not come and I felt myself rush bodily out of myself and out and out and out and all the time bodily in the wind. sototenente (the thumb).In the late summer of that year we lived in a house in a village that looked across the river and the plain to the mountains. I said. Miss Barkley was sitting on a bench in the garden. There were big search lights on that front mounted on camions that you passed sometimes on the roads at night. the drivers walking along beside the mules wearing red fezzes.

 It evidently made no difference whether I was there to look after things or not. But they are still fools. he said. It was one of those things that gave you a false feeling of soldiering. Do you have to take me to that regimentYes. baby. The priest shook his head and went on. Oh mama mia. lieutenant. you have nothing to worry about if it doesnt infect and it rarely does now. We saw their white uniforms through the trees and walked toward them. Rinaldi took the note.

 What was the matter with this war Everybody said the French were through.Later. Otherwise it will be the bronze. Dio te salve. poured out into the glass held with the same hand; after this course. Let everybody defend his home. He loved being a surgeon and we were great friends. His legs were toward me and I saw in the dark and the light that they were both smashed above the knee.That night at the mess I sat next to the priest and he was disappointed and suddenly hurt that I had not gone to the Abruzzi. He ought to be able to do something. I was after him. We crossed the brickyard.

There arent any four hundred twenties in the mountains. How are the girlsThere are no girls. All the drivers wore puttees but Passini had only one leg. Goodby. The dead were off to one side. But dont bring a lot of Italians.Ill take the American Tenente. We will take over the two cars. with many tastes alike.No. Gavuzzi said. and mark a cross on both legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment