Tuesday, May 10, 2011

snow still on the tops. which was very good.

 poured out into the glass held with the same hand; after this course
 poured out into the glass held with the same hand; after this course. and his hair shone. brushed my hair and we started.You see Ive been leading a sort of a funny life. Hes dead.Fine.I love you so and its been awful. mama Mia I pulled and twisted and got my legs loose finally and turned around and touched him.I believe in the Free Masons. lifting the spaghetti on the fork until the loose strands hung clear then lowering it into the mouth. The carabinieri waved us to go on. youre very good.

Oh I love to tease you.No. dont you It seemed it was a very funny joke if you understood it properly. then choking.Goodnight. You are better with her without me. I tried to make out whether they were members of the family or what; but they were all uniformly classical. Goodby. Tenente. I thought I was coming back. a noise like a railway engine starting and then an explosion that shook the earth again. said Passini.

 she said.No.I stopped in front of the Villa Rossa. As far as I could make out the last mile or so of the new road where it started to level out would be able to be shelled steadily by the Austrians. Gordini stood up and went outside with me.No. I will. It takes a long time to be. He recognized me and waved a forceps. The shutters were up but it was still going on inside.Thats the only differenceYes. as they fall from an icicle after the sun has gone.

 I say its rotten. I had gone to no place where the roads were frozen and hard as iron. I felt it against the back of the chair. when they wouldnt attack and they shot every tenth manNo. Tell me about Gorizia. Gavuzzi handed me the basin of macaroni. It was a hot day and the sky was very bright and blue and the road was white and dusty. Ill see the medical wallahs.I believe in the Free Masons.Wed take quite good care of them and return them to the villa.Do you like itVery much. He stooped to go under the doorway and went out.

I went along the narrow road down toward the river. I said and went back to the house and drank another bowl of coffee at the mess table. You wont worry now.Outside something was set down beside the entrance. She waved again and then I was out of the driveway and climbing up into the seat of the ambulance and we started. Oh you should see what I did in the removal of three metres of small intestine and better now than ever. and in the fall when the rains came the leaves all fell from the chestnut trees and the branches were bare and the trunks black with rain. Troops went by the house and down the road and the dust they raised powdered the leaves of the trees. It was all as I had left it except that now it was spring. Tell me. major. I looked in the door of the big room and saw the major sitting at his desk.

The plain was rich with crops there were many orchards of fruit trees and beyond the plain the mountains were brown and bare. I had gone to no place where the roads were frozen and hard as iron.We went on eating. They lined them up afterward and took every tenth man.It sounds very funny nowCatherine.Listen. lifting the spaghetti on the fork until the loose strands hung clear then lowering it into the mouth.Shes Scotch. I will write you cards to my family in Amalfi. Middle name First name Rank Where born What class What corps and so on. father. She would not let me put my arm around her.

He walked across to the dressing station. I said. Outside it was getting dark. He had written to his father that I was coming and they had made preparations. said the major.Defeat is worse.I saw Catherine Barkley coming down the hall. Whats the matter with this machineIts no good. darling. she said. Miss Barkley prefers you to me. I think not.

 She came back from wherever she had been. I looked at the board tables. They take your sisters.You see Ive been leading a sort of a funny life. would you he asked.Oh.Pas encore. But its very beautiful. The door was open. I remember having a silly idea he might come to the hospital where I was.It starts now. she said.

 baby. Oh you should see what I did in the removal of three metres of small intestine and better now than ever. This had been the villa of a very wealthy German and the busts must have cost him plenty.Whats the matter nowNew rings. What hit youMe. he explained to me. without embarrassment. His nose was skinned and there was dust on the bloody patch and dust in his hair. All fire and smoke and nothing inside. It was all right if she was. baby. It takes a long time to be.

 Gavuzzi said. I tried to tell about the night and the difference between the night and the day and how the night was better unless the day was very clean and cold and I could not tell it; as I cannot tell it now.You will. an ambulance was waiting by the side door and inside the door.You think notNo. We both went flat and with the flash and bump of the burst and the smell heard the singing off of the fragments and the rattle of falling brick.Didnt you carry anybody on your back Gordini says you carried several people on your back but the medical major at the first post declares it is impossible.Im not drunk. Are you coming to nightNo.What about eating. They take your home. Priest wants Austrians to win the war.

I was going to cut it all off when he died. Goodnight. I knew it. The British had come with three ambulances and they had two men on each ambulance.I know how you talk. have that pleasant air of a dog whoStop it. Five stars.Thats nothing.That was a big trench mortar. Suddenly to care very much and to sleep to wake with it sometimes morning and all that had been there gone and everything sharp and hard and clear and sometimes a dispute about the cost. And we have gotten away from the war. Come with me if you want.

How are you. Thats all I know. I said.He wiped his hands on his jumper and grinned. I went with him and found the dugout. We passed a long column of loaded mules. That was all left for next year.If you drop me again.They cant hang every one. Good by. Tell me. This captain baited him often.

 It was a big trench mortar shell. Where have you beenIve been out on post. The officers all wore helmets; betterfitting helmets.I took out my knife. the major said. said the major. You would like the people and though it is cold it is clear and dry. Gordini stood up and went outside with me. I thought he had a fine name and he came from Minnesota which made a lovely name: Ireland of Minnesota. The lieutenant. We were in the foothills on the near side of the river and as the road mounted there were the high mountains off to the north with snow still on the tops. which was very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment