Tuesday, May 10, 2011

English driver came around and looked in.

 tenente (first finger)
 tenente (first finger). Im sorry for your head.How you like this goddam warRotten. They want to get you the medaglia dargento but perhaps they can get only the bronze. We drank rum and it was very friendly. I said. E. she said. They picked me up and took me into the dressing room. and stood up. I am very moved to see you badly wounded. with the sun on it.

 I went with him and found the dugout. Rinaldi carried a holster stuffed with toilet paper. I said. When this road was finished the offensive would start. It was the first time I had ever heard her laugh. waiting for Catherine Barkley to come down. darling. I said.Four hundred twenty or minnenwerfer. and in the fall when the rains came the leaves all fell from the chestnut trees and the branches were bare and the trunks black with rain.I stopped to ask if you were better.All right.

 the captain said. Inside they were operating on all the tables. It was really very large and beautiful and there were fine trees in the grounds. We parked the cars beyond a brickyard.Dont I talk Italian good enoughI knew you was an American all right.Bring him in. But if you have had it you know. dropping them in a basin.Ill leave you two.We walked along together through the town and I chewed the coffee.As you wish.I guess youve got a fracture all right.

 Naples. Maybe she would pretend that I was her boy that was killed and we would go in the front door and the porter would take off his cap and I would stop at the concierges desk and ask for the key and she would stand by the elevator and then we would get in the elevator and it would go up very slowly clicking at all the floors and then our floor and the boy would open the door and stand there and she would step out and I would step out and we would walk down the hall and I would put the key in the door and open it and go in and then take down the telephone and ask them to send a bottle of capri bianca in a silver bucket full of ice and you would hear the ice against the pail coming down the condor and the boy would knock and I would say leave it outside the door please.Loan me fifty lire.You. He brought them over to me. Another nurse was with her.I see.Its very hard. close behind the lines. Theres more snow there than here. Tell me. Here at the brickyard we were sheltered from rifle or machine gun fire by the river bank.

 You will be decorated. and I stood outside his cell and I said as though I were going to confession. Passini said. unloaded them and went away. good luck and Vive la France.Oh. We parked the cars beyond a brickyard. A V. I must do something about getting you out of here. I said. I am positive you will get the silver. the major said.

 where I sat with a friend and two glasses drinking a bottle of Asti. I said.Goodnight.Look at the bump. the lieutenant said. close behind the lines. left the car at the dressing station under the hill. Im Scotch. I went out swiftly. I forget exactly what they were. father. Thats all I know.

 the instruments shining in the light. He breathed very heavily. the lieutenant said. Because were going to have a strange life. He stooped to go under the doorway and went out. I said. The priest accepted it as a joke.I went back to the majors dugout and he said the field kitchen would be along and the drivers could come and get their stew.That way youll be decorated. he said to me. His breath went away. You see I didnt care about the other thing and he could have had it all.

 I said. Anybody can take their property.Do the men know that who attackI dont think so.Shes on duty. I will go now and bring her here. It was hot walking through the town but the sun was starting to go down and it was very pleasant.That will be nice. I think not. Then I made out my report in my room. I said. Inside they were operating on all the tables. Shes a nurse.

 Orderly.Were you thereNo.Some troops went out. Manera said.I dried my hands and took out my pocketbook from the inside of my tunic hanging on the wall. and then I heard close to me some one saying Mama Mia Oh. He was sitting up beside one of the brick walls. there was the smell of marble floors and hospital. I could see the light come out from the dressing station when the curtain opened and they brought some one in or out. They cant do that to everybody. We do not like the English. I think the heat knocked me over yesterday.

Do you like itVery much.No. He loves Franz Joseph. He smiled. Hes dead. Tenente Gavuzzi asked. The river was low and there were stretches of sand and pebbles with a narrow channel of water and sometimes the water spread like a sheen over the pebbly bed. Two for 132. havent youYes. and with the end of the summer. and come back like this. I said.

 and then there were mountains far off beyond all these that you could hardly tell if you really saw. I turned her so I could see her face when I kissed her and I saw that her eyes were shut. We are mechanics.Abbastanza bene. Henry. his hands moving very fast and the bandage coming taut and sure. I would go crazy. the thumb up and fingers outspread as when you make shadow pictures.I think you do not know anything about being conquered and so you think it is not bad.Bring Caruso. At the first battle you all run. That is true.

 Some one took hold of me under the arms and somebody else lifted my legs. I was experiencing the masculine difficulty of making love very long standing up.Bersaglieri have run too. It was quiet. I could look down through the woods and see. He spoke again in pidgin Italian. I sat up straight and as I did so something inside my head moved like the weights on a dolls eyes and it hit me inside in back of my eyeballs. He offered me a glass of cognac. and. The trunks of the trees too were dusty and the leaves fell early that year and we saw the troops marching along the road and the dust rising and leaves.The major spoke to an orderly who went out of sight in the back and came back with a metal basin of cold cooked macaroni.Dont go.

 the drivers walking along beside the mules wearing red fezzes. There was a shadow from his hand on the wall.Lets drop it anyway. the captain said.He was a very nice boy. I came back the next afternoon from our first mountain post and stopped the car at the smistimento where the wounded and sick were sorted by their papers and the papers marked for the different hospitals. His mother sent it to me. and a roar that started white and went red and on and on in a rushing wind.It was nearly dark when we came down and turned onto the main road that ran beside the river. It was very hot and when I woke my legs itched.No. The tall English driver came around and looked in.

No comments:

Post a Comment