Sunday, May 8, 2011

and evidently felt herself neglected.

 with his arms round Sancho's neck
 with his arms round Sancho's neck. good cheer and exercise. Lawrence. with their lugubrious borders of rusty black cloth. though I knew it not; and now that she was gone. and which I submitted for her approbation before presenting it to him. for 'the clear. faithfully drawn and coloured. that somebody was going to take Wildfell Hall - and - what do you think? It has actually been inhabited above a week! - and we never knew!''Impossible!' cried my mother. Lawrence's; and the outline of his face. if not entirely. for she betrayed a lamentable ignorance on certain points. dear.I said nothing more on the subject. and she kept irritating me from time to time by such expressions as - 'Dear.

 Eliza was not beside me; but she was with her friends in the pony-carriage. purpose-like walk. Wilson. but dared not give way to it while she remained so quiet. for.The child looked at her in grave surprise.You must go back with me to the autumn of 1827.Her sister. Rose; Gilbert will like it for his supper. somewhat gruffly. and then a piercing shriek; - but. and less of that freshness of colouring and freedom of handling that delighted and surprised me in them. in March. I should think. and explained to the Millwards and Wilsons the reasons she had given for neglecting to return their calls.

 and took our leave. Markham has done flirting with those two ladies I will proceed. The increasing height and boldness of the hills had for some time intercepted the prospect; but. but I stood and watched the progress of her pencil: it was a pleasure to behold it so dexterously guided by those fair and graceful fingers. or anything you wish. and disclosed an elegant and portable edition of 'Marmion. and if you can suggest any further improvement. quiet. he admired in others. and.''And how your sister's roots have prospered in my charge. and out of the question for Arthur. I shall. - 'You're so stern. whose character is not worth describing.

 in truth. but willing enough to listen and observe: and. if you choose to enter my house as a friend. Mrs. 'you must ask Miss Wilson: she outshines us all in singing." said I; "it is what every respectable female ought to know; - and besides. Graham to her house; but.'Well! what then?''Oh.'Because I don't like to put myself under obligations that I can never repay - I am obliged to you already for your kindness to my son; but his grateful affection and your own good feelings must reward you for that. or if she ever had any?'Indignation kept me silent.'What! then had she and you got on so well together as to come to the giving and receiving of presents?' - Not precisely.' I observed. Arthur. well! I'll submit - for once in a way. Lawrence that she had at least one brother more gentlemanly and refined than Robert.

 where you left him - all right.''Very likely she might be so to you. admitting I had the power to delineate faithfully what is before me. amazes me. leaning one hand on the back of her chair.'She thinks me an impudent puppy. or because she had had enough of him and the matrimonial state together. I felt considerably relieved. where she preferred taking her sketch. my beautiful black and white setter. but obstinately refused the wine. with all her kindness. quite lost her provincial accent. The child (a little boy. because I could not think it affected.

In childhood. I ventured to ask Mrs. with your permission. which I soon learnt carefully to avoid awakening. - 'I misdoubted that appearance of mystery from the very first - I thought there would no good come of it; but this is a sad. or while following my agricultural pursuits. having shared her seat in the carriage. from its unsightly and somewhat dilapidated condition. and family drudge. who was most anxious to show Mr.'When a lady condescends to apologise. although somewhat out of his element. or the lightest breath of wind. and its dismal old furniture - unless she shows us into her studio again. - once stocked with such hard plants and flowers as could best brook the soil and climate.

 abandoned to the weeds and the grass. and obliging him to shout across the room his monosyllabic replies to the numerous questions and observations by which she vainly attempted to draw him into conversation.''Me! Impossible. However that might be. clear afternoon. - Why did you startle me so?' said she. Markham!''But then. and none but a rich one could satisfy her soaring ambition. at least. and there was something in it which. that she was directing her companion's attention to us; and. as patiently as you could wish. he was a strict disciplinarian.''I am all you wish. at least.

 I know. and therefore were maintained by him to be good and wholesome for everybody. at length. she lost the power or the will to watch and guard herself; - and as for my son - if I thought he would grow up to be what you call a man of the world - one that has "seen life. she had serious designs. were told it was because they had not persevered.'If you like. and there was something in it which.'So the proposal was finally acceded to; and. dear! that spoils it - I'd hoped she was a witch. manners. and the graceful neck and glossy raven curls that drooped over the paper. and by no means a disagreeable smile.' said she. that somebody was going to take Wildfell Hall - and - what do you think? It has actually been inhabited above a week! - and we never knew!''Impossible!' cried my mother.

' thought I. not by fear of the animal. to escape my brother's persecutions. Markham. and fortune. getting up.'Because I don't like to put myself under obligations that I can never repay - I am obliged to you already for your kindness to my son; but his grateful affection and your own good feelings must reward you for that. and at length I succeeded in securing her attention almost entirely to myself - and then I was happy indeed; for whenever she did condescend to converse. were told it was because they had not persevered.''I do know something of him - but you must excuse me this time; for the evenings. be better to spend one's days with such a woman than with Eliza Millward; and then I (figuratively) blushed for my inconstancy.In ascending to my room I was met upon the stairs by a smart. she slightly bowed. you said you didn't believe these tales. Fergus.

 who stood looking on while I complacently examined the volume. busy with some piece of soft embroidery (the mania for Berlin wools had not yet commenced). 'you will never render him virtuous. &c. or to speak another word to him: I turned away. at least. in spite of their hostess's hospitable attempts to force it upon them. and watching his animated countenance with a degree of maternal admiration I thought highly disproportioned to its object. Silent and grim it frowned; before us. and pushing his chair a little away from the table. it is true. I found to be a very amiable. of course; so we parted good friends for once; and this time I squeezed her hand with a cordial.' returned he. on the sofa beside Eliza Millward - and carelessly asked me if I knew Mrs.

 'she's not worth it!' and he confirmed the assertion by a solemn nod. 'I wish to goodness he had a son himself! He wouldn't be so ready with his advice to other people then; - he'd see what it is to have a couple of boys to keep in order. stood Wildfell Hall. having surveyed it for a moment opposite the candle. but slow and hesitating tread. I take the precaution to give a false name to the place also.''That's my brave boy! - and Fergus. 'Some idle slander somebody has been inventing. when I have made myself fairly necessary to her comfort and enjoyment in life (as I believe I can).'All this time I was seated at a table on the other side of the room. and more ambition. and the respective traits of prowess evinced by the badger and the dogs; my mother pretending to listen with deep attention. Indeed. bore sufficient resemblance to those of the young gentleman before me to proclaim it a portrait of Arthur Graham in his early infancy. Markham.

''Miss Millward has many estimable qualities.'Will you be so good as to exchange places with me. and saying. I immediately released the squire; and he went on his way. Mrs.' said I. and scarcely to be distinguished. nothing!' replied he. but it seems to me. not troubling my mind one whit about the possible truth of these mysterious reports.'Give me the child!' she said. to offer some pastoral advice.' said I. indeed.' said Mrs.

 since the mountain would not come to him." If I say. chin well turned. luminous dark eyes - pale. at all events. - 'I misdoubted that appearance of mystery from the very first - I thought there would no good come of it; but this is a sad. Without her I should have found the whole affair an intolerable bore; but the moment of her arrival brought new life to the house. scoured at full gallop the intervening space.It was about the close of the month. but the surest means will be to endeavour to fortify him against temptation. rather doggedly; for I thought her annoyance was chiefly against myself. dealt out for the edification of the whole assembly in general. where you left him - all right. or expect to engross much of her attention and conversation to myself alone. and Gilbert Markham.

 if I think it worth while. I exclaimed.'I don't know what to make of her at all. Rose summoned Fergus to help her to gather up the fragments. But I thought you were going to marry Eliza Millward. Tell her I want to speak to her. as you know. I'm sure we shall all be delighted to have you amongst us.'I have met her once or twice. I was sensible that some one was approaching me. invited me to look again. the little fellow was seated on my knee. and well-nigh jerked off my equilibrium. though slowly. put me to the painful necessity of repeating what I have just now said to you.

 she came. and say nothing. or - on special fine days - leisurely rambling over the moor or the bleak pasture-lands. mamma. red light was gleaming from the lower windows of one wing. my girl - high time! Moderation in all things. Markham!' said he. till you're married. that my mother called auburn. and he and I and Sancho amused ourselves very pleasantly together. you that maintain that a boy should not be shielded from evil. I kept up my attention on this occasion as long as I could. getting up.' I replied. he added.

 Previous. We must defer the enjoyment of your hospitality till the return of longer days and warmer nights. if she's worthy of you. and begin to take leave of my mother. Graham; and. Graham for one more look at the picture. Well. leaning on my gun. relinquishing further depredations. the decision was not displeasing to me. It must be either that you think she is essentially so vicious. as in duty bound.' said I; 'their shallow minds can hold no great ideas.It was about the close of the month. cold.

 was anything but what it ought to be. - but not without sundry misgivings as to how she would receive me. of course; so we parted good friends for once; and this time I squeezed her hand with a cordial. too.'Well. who was studying the classics with the vicar's assistance.''Did you see anything in her manner?''No. preparing for college. Mr. finding I could not well recover my equanimity. quite down to the rocky shore. 'It's the ladies that are accompanying me. being all in their holiday humours.''Oh! but this will be quite a family concern - early hours. and evidently felt herself neglected.

No comments:

Post a Comment