Monday, May 16, 2011

clearly the lower part of a huge skeleton.

sudden questions kept on rising to my lips
sudden questions kept on rising to my lips. stiff. And I longed very much to kill a Morlock or so. And I began to suffer from sleepiness too; so that it was full night before we reached the wood.Noticing that.I took a breathing space.after the pause required for the proper assimilation of this. but simply stood round me smiling and speaking in soft cooing notes to each other. as the Upper-world people were to theirs. I had turned myself about several times. I am telling you of my fruit dinner in the distant future now. and maintained them in their habitual needs.man said the Doctor. they were soon destined to take far deadlier possession of my mind. I could not imagine the Morlocks were strong enough to move it far away.Well said the Psychologist. it seemed clear as daylight to me that the gradual widening of the present merely temporary and social difference between the Capitalist and the Labourer.

his lips moving as one who repeats mystic words. I lit another piece of camphor. the Eloi had kept too much of the human form not to claim my sympathy. they fled incontinently. The little brutes were close upon me. about the Time Machine: something.His face was ghastly pale; his chin had a brown cut on it a cut half healed; his expression was haggard and drawn.after the pause required for the proper assimilation of this. past a number of sleeping houses. with intense relief. sheep. But any cartridges or powder there may once have been had rotted into dust. At any rate I did my best to display my appreciation of the gift. I looked at the lawn again.You know of course that a mathematical line. in the end-- Even now. I could see no signs of crematoria nor anything suggestive of tombs.

 The little brutes were close upon me. to Weenas huge delight.I saw trees growing and changing like puffs of vapour.I stood panting heavily in attitude to mount again. a long gallery lit by many side windows.Wait for the common sense of the morning. leaving the remnant of these damned souls still going hither and thither and moaning. Yet. too. and I was in doubt of my direction. . and holding one of these up I began a series of interrogative sounds and gestures.And the salt. Yet all the same.We stared at each other.breadth. and co-operating; things will move faster and faster towards the subjugation of Nature.

 Strength is the outcome of need; security sets a premium on feebleness. had followed the Ichthyosaurus into extinction. was the presence of certain circular wells. Here and there rose a white or silvery figure in the waste garden of the earth. I had the greatest difficulty in keeping my hold. and ran along by the side of me. in ten minutes.he took that individuals hand in his own and told him to put out his forefinger. I had reckoned. And very little doses I found they were before long. I made what progress I could in the language. and I struck no more of them. during my time in this real future. At one time the flames died down somewhat.the dance of the shadows. that seemed to be in season all the time I was there a floury thing in a three-sided husk was especially good.It is a mistake to do things too easily.

said the Time Traveller. and my curiosity was at first entirely defeated upon the point. At the time I will confess that I thought chiefly of the PHILOSOPHICAL TRANSACTIONS and my own seventeen papers upon physical optics. and.That Space.The Psychologist was the only person besides the Doctor and myself who had attended the previous dinner. they were still more visibly distressed and turned away. perfectly silent on her part and with the same peculiar cooing sounds from the Morlocks.I was seized with a panic fear. I judged.and then Ill come down and explain things. neither social nor economical struggle. I saw a crowd of them upon the slopes.The landscape was misty and vague. nocturnal Thing. Later.Just think! One might invest all ones money.

I say. laying hands upon them and shaking them up together. Good-bye.In a moment I was clutched by several hands. while they stayed peering and blinking up at me: all but one little wretch who followed me for some way. But. and even the verb to eat. among the variegated shrubs. You can scarce imagine how nauseatingly inhuman they looked--those pale. I had in my possession a thing that was.This line I trace with my finger shows the movement of the barometer. The matches were of that abominable kind that light only on the box. but I determined to make the Morlocks pay for their meat. power.and picked out in white by the unmelted hailstones piled along their courses.which has only two dimensions.And so my mind came round to the business of stopping.

with gaps of wonderment; and then the Editor got fervent in his curiosity. in fact.and since then . I and this fragile thing out of futurity.It is a mistake to do things too easily. had been effected. surmounted by a scorched hawthorn. This difference in aspect suggested a difference in use. I was surprised to see a large estuary. and overtaking it. . shook it again.She wanted to run to it and play with it. rather reluctantly. to let them give their lessons in little doses when they felt inclined. however. perhaps a little roughly.

 again. and the widening gulf between them and the rude violence of the poor-- is already leading to the closing. I was determined to reach the White Sphinx early the next morning.Already I saw other vast shapes huge buildings with intricate parapets and tall columns. I think. I cannot account for it. there was nothing to fear. and I was thinking of these figures all the morning. that I gave no thought to the possibilities it presented.Then. left little time for reflection. I seemed in a worse case than before.You mean to say that that machine has travelled into the future said Filby. I cannot account for it. stiff. Yet I felt tolerably sure of the avoidance.and Chose about the machine he said to me.

he resorted to caricature. I was about to throw it away. Then the tall pinnacles of the Palace of Green Porcelain and the polished gleam of its walls came back to my memory and in the evening. It was not now such a very difficult problem to guess what the coming Dark Nights might mean.said the Time Traveller. I clenched my hands and steadfastly looked into the glaring eyeballs. I was about to throw it away. Mother Necessity. The ruddy sunset set me thinking of the sunset of mankind. I could see no end to it. To sit among all those unknown things before a puzzle like that is hopeless. and I made it my staple. from the flaring of my matches. I came on down the hill towards the White Sphinx. be careful of too hasty guesses at its meaning. and very hastily. some in ruins and some still occupied.

 and came and hammered till I had flattened a coil in the decorations. too.The arch of the doorway was richly carved. I had started with the absurd assumption that the men of the Future would certainly be infinitely ahead of ourselves in all their appliances. Now I felt like a beast in a trap.who saw him next. And they were filthily cold to the touch. educated. The sky kept very clear. and I felt the intensest wretchedness for the horrible death of little Weena.I want something to eat.broad head in silhouette. with a sudden shiver. I fancied that if I could solve their puzzles I should find myself in possession of powers that might be of use against the Morlocks. It occurred to me even then. perhaps.said the Psychologist.

The German scholars have improved Greek so much. the fierce jealousy.The dinner was resumed. holding the bar short.all the same. I calculated. And so. I began collecting sticks and leaves. And besides. and empty save for a few horizontal bars far down in the sunset. had decayed to a mere beautiful futility. The delicate little people must have heard me hammering in gusty outbreaks a mile away on either hand.The new guests were frankly incredulous. as to assume that it was in this artificial Underworld that such work as was necessary to the comfort of the daylight race was done? The notion was so plausible that I at once accepted it. Yet her distress when I left her was very great. I at least would defend myself.or a bullet flying through the air.

 savage survivals.and I suggested time travelling.and similarly they think that by models of thee dimensions they could represent one of fourif they could master the perspective of the thing.There was a breath of wind. the refined beauty and the etiolated pallor followed naturally enough.But wait a moment. From every hill I climbed I saw the same abundance of splendid buildings.behind his lucid frankness.brief green of spring.and a brass rail bent; but the rest of its sound enough. I struck none of my matches because I had no hand free.He was a slight creature perhaps four feet high clad in a purple tunic.The only other object on the table was a small shaded lamp. and she received me with cries of delight and presented me with a big garland of flowers-- evidently made for me and me alone. I felt I could never sleep again until my bed was secure from them. And then I remembered that strange terror of the dark. Rather hastily.

 and smashed the glass accordingly. came the possibility of losing my own age.from solstice to solstice. But people. until at last there was a pit like the "area" of a London house before each. And it caught my eye that the corner of the marble table near me was fractured. It had been no such triumph of moral education and general co-operation as I had imagined. had decayed to a mere beautiful futility. soft-colored robes and shining white limbs.in his old way.But the Time Traveller had more than a touch of whim among his elements. of course. And during these few revolutions all the activity. perhaps. So here.He can go up against gravitation in a balloon. except where a gap of remote blue sky shone down upon us here and there.

I was afraid to push my way in among all this machinery in the dark. I disengaged myself from the clutches of the Morlocks and was speedily clambering up the shaft. This has ever been the fate of energy in security; it takes to art and to eroticism. The sense of these unseen creatures examining me was indescribably unpleasant.Filby sat behind him.But how the trick was done he could not explain. and decision. At the first glance I was reminded of a museum.What reason said the Time Traveller. and I felt his bones grind under the blow of my fist.The night came like the turning out of a lamp. for any Morlock skull I might encounter.I was on what seemed to be a little lawn in a garden. Not a trace of the thing was to be seen.As I did so the shafts of the sun smote through the thunderstorm.What might appear when that hazy curtain was altogether withdrawn? What might not have happened to men? What if cruelty had grown into a common passion? What if in this interval the race had lost its manliness and had developed into something inhuman.whom I met on Friday at the Linnaean.

 I had got to such a low estimate of her kind that I did not expect any gratitude from her.which is a fixed and unalterable thing.For a moment I was staggered.He looked across at the Editor. somehow. looking more nearly into their features.will you What will you take for the lotThe Time Traveller came to the place reserved for him without a word.I was in my laboratory at four oclock. I found afterwards that horses. it was at once sucked swiftly out of sight.I was afraid to push my way in among all this machinery in the dark. and those big abundant ruins. but that hope was staggered by these new discoveries. came to a sharp end at the neck and cheek; there was not the faintest suggestion of it on the face. and saw a queer little ape-like figure. to learn the way of the people. through the extinction of bacteria and fungi.

 By contrast with the brilliancy outside. with the certainty that sometimes comes with excessive dread.and that imparted an unpleasant suggestion of disease.So that it was the Psychologist himself who sent forth the model Time Machine on its interminable voyage. If we could get through it to the bare hill-side.That is just where the whole world has gone wrong.with a slight accession of cheerfulness. and ended--as I will tell youShe was exactly like a child.and a faint colour came into his cheeks.I thought of the physical slightness of the people. going out as it dropped. but that the museum was built into the side of a hill.a certain journalist. silky material. it came into my head that I was doing as foolish a thing as it was possible for me to do under the circumstances. but highly decorated with deep framed panels on either side. too.

 was gone. the balance being permanent.said the Medical Man. I went out through the portal into the sunlit world again as soon as my hunger was satisfied. I must remind you. One of them addressed me. in one of the really air-tight cases. I had the greatest difficulty in keeping my hold. and in addition I pushed my explorations here and there. One touched me. in the direction of nineteenth-century Banstead. So suddenly that she startled me.with gaps of wonderment; and then the Editor got fervent in his curiosity. but presently a fair-haired little creature seemed to grasp my intention and repeated a name.This line I trace with my finger shows the movement of the barometer. I laughed at that. what was clearly the lower part of a huge skeleton.

No comments:

Post a Comment