Tuesday, May 10, 2011

back bring a phonograph.

 Manera and Gavuzzi each went off with a load of wounded
 Manera and Gavuzzi each went off with a load of wounded. I said. I wished I were in Milan with her. English. To your valorous wounds.You are ignorant. Whats the matter with this machineIts no good.Have you any cheeseThe major spoke grudgingly to the orderly who ducked back into the hole again and came out with a quarter of a white cheese. In two days the offensive was to start and I would go with the cars to Plava.Can Gordini driveI dont think so. with the sun on it. I said.

You speak English he asked. Tell me about Gorizia. There was that beginning of a feeling of dryness in the nose that meant the day would be hot later on. My friend motioned for him to come in. There was one fine cemetery thoughthe one at Pisa.Priest not with girls. D. Jt was warm and like the spring and I walked down the alleyway of trees. Close to the bank I saw deep pools. A. He is a priest; he will appreciate it. I lowered it into the mouth.

 my bed was made up with blankets and my things hung on the wall. We talk too much even for the Tenente. Beautiful young girlsaccompanied by their mothers. in which you said things instead of playing cards. He said there was so much dirt blown into the wound that there had not been much hemorrhage. I said.I will get it for you. Still I would probably have been killed. With a sabre cut. His mother sent it to me. To the north we could look across a valley and see a forest of chestnut trees and behind it another mountain on this side of the river. He patted Gordini on the shoulder.

The Germans too. you cant kiss me here.In Milano. I handed it to Gordini. You wont go awayNo. said the priest. Ill go and see him and ask if he will recommend you. They say so.Cant I stay here. I smiled at the priest and he smiled back across the candlelight. Priest wants Austrians to win the war. The lieutenant.

 They were moderately clean. The Austrian army was created to give Napoleon victories; any Napoleon. Theres not really any war of that sort down here. I will go now and bring her here. she said. little puppy.So long. I said. He loved being a surgeon and we were great friends. There was another stretcher by the side with a man on it whose nose I could see. His right hand left the wheel and opened a button on his tunic and pulled it out from under his shirt. In a little while we would say insulting things.

 I leaned forward in the dark to kiss her and there was a sharp stinging flash. it seemed. she said. What made it pretty was that it sounded like Island.Must attack. Tell me. Everything seemed in good condition. she said. and the major started us with red wine in mugs. It was a hot day and there were many flies in the room. are youNo.Cant I stay here.

 the house for officers.He does really. didnt IShe was looking at me in the dark. I saw that word pricked him and kept on. Listen. Some one took hold of me under the arms and somebody else lifted my legs. Goodnight.Youd better not go out. We will convert him.You have that pleasant air of a dog in heat. Shes a nurse.All right.

 I tried to make out whether they were members of the family or what; but they were all uniformly classical. I drove back to Gorizia and our villa and. I said. It tells you about those priests. Always with the carabinieri.No understand. said the priest.I believe in the Free Masons. It was impossible to salute foreigners as an Italian. He spread the hand again. the captain commenced picking on the priest. It was a hot day and the sky was very bright and blue and the road was white and dusty.

 darling.The next afternoon we heard there was to be an attack up the river that night and that we were to take four cars there. Thats what its for. You only pretend to be American. dont you It seemed it was a very funny joke if you understood it properly. stupid from inexperience. then from all the guns behind us the bombardment started. To your valorous wounds. They were bersaglieri. He was walking with a limp.If everybody would not attack the war would be over.The next afternoon we heard there was to be an attack up the river that night and that we were to take four cars there.

I would like you to see Abruzzi and visit my family at Capracotta. Evidently it did not matter whether I was there or not. He said there was so much dirt blown into the wound that there had not been much hemorrhage.That way youll be decorated. He paused and thought. The lieutenant. then crossed the river. are youOh.The next afternoon I went to call on Miss Barkley again.I have to go.Wait a minute. where it was clear cold and dry and the snow was dry and powdery and haretracks in the snow and the peasants took off their hats and called you Lord and there was good hunting.

 I will send the liaison officer.Wait a minute. I felt the engine start.How you like this goddam warRotten.He walked across to the dressing station. It isnt me that makes fun of him.Bring Caruso. You dont have to pretend you love me. Rinaldi was sitting on the bed with a copy of Hugos English grammar.We sat down on a bench and I looked at her.Shes not awfully well.No.

 Catherine. brushed my hair and we started. There was a little shelter of green branches outside over the entrance and in the dark the night wind rustled the leaves dried by the sun. I said. the tiny man with the long thin neck and the goat beard. I would eat quickly and go and see Catherine Barkley.I have to get washed and report.They dropped me once more before we reached the post. I said to Gordini. Three others were up in the mountains at dressing stations. It has been put back again.It doesnt finish.

You dont go at allI just go to see if there is anything new.Theyll shell the   out of us. I had gone to no place where the roads were frozen and hard as iron. We went on and passed the regiment about a mile ahead. Inside they were operating on all the tables. I said. Priest not happy without girls. I undid the clasp of the gold chain and put it around my neck and clasped it. dusty and tired. That should handle them. There were some British batteries up with the third army.When you come back bring a phonograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment