Tuesday, May 10, 2011

people who are afraid of their officers. far below.

 It was very edifying
 It was very edifying. The snow slanted across the wind.Bassi wins.We think. Do you have to take me to that regimentYes. Everybody hates this war. Were not cloistered.They may crack. said Bassi. Again the candlelight made its shadows on the wall.Goodnight. Its a Saint Anthony.

 she said. They seemed glad to see me and in a little while Miss Ferguson excused herself and went away. you have nothing to worry about if it doesnt infect and it rarely does now.Splendid.Thats what the priest said. I wish that I was with the British.I think we can get you the silver. Where did you go and what did you do Tell me everything at once.What is her nameFerguson. I said.We went on eating.Can Gordini driveI dont think so.

 and tenentecolonello (the little finger). the smashed tunnel by the river where the fighting had been. The road climbed steeply going up and back and forth through chestnut woods to level finally along a ridge. The officers all came from such good families. . Im not. Do you suffer much Have a drink. But those grenadiers; all over six feet. I asked him what happened and he said. and well see. Not in the auto ambulance. Youre not an Italian.

 said the priest. The river was low and there were stretches of sand and pebbles with a narrow channel of water and sometimes the water spread like a sheen over the pebbly bed. I dressed. He did not see me and I did not know whether to go in and report or go upstairs first and clean up. I will probably marry Miss Barkley. Tell me.No. Over on the right they had the Duke of Aosta.That way youll be decorated. Its much cooler. Helen. He opened his trunk and took out a bottle.

 Goodnight. I knew that I was hit and leaned over and put my hand on my knee. You may come and see her after seven oclock if you wish.Why dont you ride with the transport I asked. the shellmarked iron of the railway bridge.Goodnight. The sun was going down and the day was cooling off. opened it. As soon as I got to the dressing station Manera brought a medical sergeant out and he put bandages on both my legs. keeping to the side. hung over the two beds. Yes.

 an ambulance was waiting by the side door and inside the door. A V. The orderly brought a chair and he sat down. are youOh.Its not been away. The priest smiled and blushed and shook his head. It isnt me that makes fun of him. He lived in Udine and came out in this way nearly every day to see how things were going. spilled the thin gold chain together and put it all in my breast pocket. the stumps of trees projected. yes. He said that if the thing went well he would see that I was decorated.

 the captain said. Here they would never have arrested him.Ill just step out the door a minute. I saw a third range of mountains. Something landed outside that shook the earth.We wont quarrel. I would eat quickly and go and see Catherine Barkley. the bare ground was covered. A shell had fallen and while we waited three others fell up the road.I didnt know about anything then. One of the two men who had carried it looked in. Orderly.

There isnt any place. . He was the Kings uncle and commanded the third army. Then there was one that we did not hear coming until the sudden rush. He came back with a handful of roasted coffee beans. go to hell. At the post on the top they took the stretcher out and put another in and we went on.Bring him in. We parked the cars beyond a brickyard.I washed. brown mountains with a little green on their slopes. Profound wounds of right knee and foot.

 Lacerations of the scalp (he probed Does that hurt Christ.Thats splendid.I wanted to do something for him. Jt was warm and like the spring and I walked down the alleyway of trees. Otherwise it will be the bronze. My legs felt warm and wet and my shoes were wet and warm inside. The coffee was a pale gray and sweet with condensed milk. I said.So long.Poor Rinaldi. The cognac is under the bed. where I sat with a friend and two glasses drinking a bottle of Asti.

 I had imagined that the condition of the cars. soldiers would. Im learning it.They hang you. Let him go to centres of culture and civilization. I tried to breathe but my breath would not come and I felt myself rush bodily out of myself and out and out and out and all the time bodily in the wind. Well all eat.Come on. And I never even talk English. I suppose it was mutual tolerance because the Austrians still kept a bridgehead further down the river. Why do you get yourself woundedYou can make fun of the priest. sitting in my trousers and an undershirt in front of the open window.

 No one to come in at night from adventures. and I knew I was dead and that it had all been a mistake to think you just died. he said.Open the bottle.We walked along together through the town and I chewed the coffee. Rinaldi took the note. I thought she was probably a little crazy. The shock dulls the pain; but this is all right. Im not.She laughed. My God what would a man do with a woman like that except worship her What else is an Englishwoman good forYou are an ignorant foulmouthed dago. when I learned it.

 Let everybody defend his home. then.The Germans too. said Miss Ferguson. He spoke again in pidgin Italian.Do they ever shell that battery Tasked one of the mechanics. sitting in my trousers and an undershirt in front of the open window.Certainly not. nights in bed.Hes an American. The cars would be all right with their good metaltometal brakes and anyway. I had gotten somewhat drunk and had nearly forgotten to come but when I could not see her there I was feeling lonely and hollow.

 Isnt itWhat is the stick I asked. He was walking with a limp. brown mountains with a little green on their slopes. good luck and Vive la France.Dont get angry. capitano (next finger).Later.Where were the Hartz Mountains anyway They were fighting in the Carpathians.Of course they do. Name he asked softly. There are people who are afraid of their officers. far below.

No comments:

Post a Comment