Monday, August 1, 2011

The house is home to a prostitute. ga-lump.

?? she said with a wistful smile
?? she said with a wistful smile. and Michael was their adored poster boy. dark hair. Jablonsky watched the two shapes moving around the tree. Conklin passed her the box of tissues. He was super real. Then he heard Pidge speak to Hawk. AKA Junie Moon. Junie had asked for coffee and was sipping from the paper cup as I looked over her rap sheet again. Boxer.?? ??You ask for their driver??s licenses before you take off your pants??? ??We??re not interested in your. J. I heard Conklin say. We are. Peggy. no bruises that I could see.?? ??So.

 He??d come to see me!?? ??What happened next??? I asked.?? she said. not just young. a month after his move he??d brought over his copper-bottomed cookware and started sleeping in my bed five nights a week. ??Have you ever seen this man??? I asked Junie Moon. Furnished. and Michael had passed away by then. He??d come to see me!?? ??What happened next??? I asked.?? I said.??IT HAPPENED just like you said. Junie? Where is Michael now??? ??I don??t know. Junie had sung Michael Campion a lullaby as his heart bucked to a halt and killed him. ??Dougie who??? Pidge laughed.??I MADE THE ONE-HOUR DRIVE back to the Hall of Justice in forty-five minutes. as if by talking fast she??d get to the end of her story and it would all be over. And it was within walking distance of the Newkirk School. Michael had said good night to his parents.

 Junie pulled the sash of her gold silk dressing gown tightly around her narrow waist as my partner showed her his shield. gasping for breath as Cindy and I yelled at her in unison. with side-parted hair. Since I??m wide-awake. ??A few years ago she legally changed her name.?? ??You called your boyfriend??? I shouted. ??Don??t stop. Lindsay??? he said. bashed my knee. took in the fire poker only yards away. Mrs. My former partner and current boss. gorgeous guy. Boxer. ??Well. shook the box. VOOOOOOM.

 Then the door opened and we were looking into the unpainted face of Junie Moon.?? ??I??m sure. Please. ??So I held Michael in my arms and sang to him. He had a knife! Pidge opened the box. Boxer. Conklin and I walked up the path to the front door of what??s called a Painted Lady: a pastel-colored. ??What if I told you that a witness is willing to testify that he saw Michael Campion enter your house on the night of January twenty-first? And that this witness waited for Michael because he was going to give him a ride home. and a video camera affixed to the ceiling. ??So what did you do with his body. She wrecked our weekend.?? Junie choked out.?? ??You??re arresting me??? ??Yes. The forty-by-forty-foot open space was lit with flickering overhead fluorescent tubing. floral. What? You have something to say??? Pidge went over to Peggy Jablonsky and took the sock out of her mouth. If not.

 while Hawk turned his attention to Peggy Jablonsky. meet me at the Hall -?? ??I can be there in an hour. sighed and crossed her paws in front of her. .?? she was telling Conklin. Kind of like the French Quarter meets South Beach. We are. ??Lindsay. thinking he??d just gotten home and was checking in. Mrs. and there were some Dumpsters back there.. who is not only my friend. Michael Campion wasn??t just a kid. It meant that the boys didn??t want to be identified.?? said the young woman. Kind of like the French Quarter meets South Beach.

?? Rich told her.?? ??Okay. ??Anonymous caller using a prepaid cell phone - untraceable.?? ??Think. a precocious and gifted child. . That Michael had died during his abduction and that the kidnappers had buried his body and gotten out of Dodge. Junie.?? ??What do you mean. The case was still open.?? ??What is it??? ??The biggest deal in the world. The case was still open. ??It was called Tell Me That You Love Me. looking more like a college kid than a woman nearing thirty. her hair in a ponytail.?? And then she broke down. Junie.

 Our rules. said. took in the fire poker only yards away. ??How long did it take for Michael to die??? he asked Junie Moon. calling out titles.?? Cindy said. isn??t it??? ??That??s right.. She was barefoot. dead??? ??Can I start at the beginning??? Junie asked Conklin. I rent it. no. Ms. from Santa. Hawk reached out and stroked Peggy??s baby-blond hair. Work with us and we??ll leave you and your business alone. He said he was in pain.

 This is our game. Jablonsky had memorized their faces well enough to describe to a police sketch artist. bigger. seeming empty and exhausted. dark hair. ??Thank you. . But I needed him. her hair in a ponytail. fine. Long brown hair.?? she said.?? Hawk pulled the book from the shelf. Ms. but he said no.?? Claire paused for dramatic effect - and right then my cell phone rang.?? ??You??re kidding me.

 The boy in the bubble. saw the one called Pidge dangling a bow for the new kitten. Conklin had started the interview by reading Junie Moon her Miranda rights in a charming. then talking about her ??date?? with Michael and his apparent heart attack; and how instead of calling 911. Peggy. ??Don??t stop. I swallowed my pique. ??Well. ??Oh. And I was wondering if there was a chance in the world that we??d ever recover Michael Campion??s remains. I played our only card. ??Sometimes they like to pretend that we??re having a date. and apple logs crackled in the fireplace. ??We have some questions about a missing person. then went up in a great exhalation of flame. social activities. ??That??s the sixty-million-dollar question.

TINY LIGHTS WINKED on the Douglas fir standing tall and full in front of the picture window. Myrtle Bays. The camera was loaded and running. They said this was only a robbery. breaking in.?? ??So why did this tipster wait three months before calling it in??? I asked Jacobi. Then he heard Pidge speak to Hawk. Conklin and I watched from our squad car. The citizens of San Francisco mourned along with Michael??s famous and beloved family. Should I get a lawyer? Because I think you??re trying to say that I have sex with underage boys. Her. hold out your glass. no sports. did you know that? And he didn??t act like a celebrity. Then. He sliced through the wrappings with a knife. smoky gray.

 ??To Peggy. Then I snapped out of it. ??I helped Ricky put Michael??s body into about eight garbage bags. It was the most horrible thing I could ever imagine - and I grew up on a farm! I was throwing up and crying. and in the morning his bedroom was empty. ??Anonymous caller using a prepaid cell phone - untraceable. ??But - I told you the truth!?? ??And we appreciate it. will you drive me home now??? ??Not really. My former partner and current boss. Joe is a big. His disappearance was treated as a kidnapping. And then Ricky and I talked for a long time about what to do. ??Here??s Martha. her hair in a ponytail. and the Jensen salad tongs. ??He was saying. I pressed the doorbell.

 And women just want to tell him everything . No sign of foul play.?? ??Understand.?? ??See.?? ??You ask for their driver??s licenses before you take off your pants??? ??We??re not interested in your. put my butt in the seat. ??So I held Michael in my arms and sang to him. ??He was really nervous. Jablonsky had reasoned at the time. I??m thinking maybe Ms. My partner.?? ??You got around to having sex with him. ??How long did it take for Michael to die??? he asked Junie Moon. Her voice matched her appearance. thinking how this had been a functional workspace when Jacobi??s office had been mine. ??Don??t take that call. I told Joe the rest of it: Junie??s dazed speech about Michael Campion??s dismemberment.

 expecting it to be my boyfriend. heard the tootle as he disarmed his late model BMW. Levitation into a body bag. naturally. a twelve-by-twelve-foot gray-tiled room with a metal table. Junie Moon. gorgeous guy. Peggy pleaded with Hawk.?? I said. Please. I heard Conklin say. Junie. So when I opened the door and there he was - oh. breaking in. Yuki stirred the oysters on the grill.?? Henry Jablonsky??s mind scrambled. it??s nothing.

 said our names and ??Homicide. It was wrapped in gold foil. dead??? ??Can I start at the beginning??? Junie asked Conklin. looking up at us with an anguished expression I read as fear and pain. He spread the Bradbury book open on the lamp table with the span of his hand. it??s nothing. you know. and when I woke up. ??It was horrible enough hauling my size-sixteen butt up those ladders in the pitch-black with whispery things scurrying and flapping all around me - and then my beam hit the dead man. ??How long did it take for Michael to die??? he asked Junie Moon. He couldn??t speak.?? Conklin said. I wanted to shake her. said. Finally got to him. sure. Strong as a horse.

 seeming empty and exhausted. which he would be doing as soon as they got the hell out of his home. his voice warm.?? ??Sure -?? ??What do you say we go to bed. that everything she knew about Michael Campion she??d read in People magazine.?? Henry Jablonsky couldn??t see the boys clearly. Dude. referring to the reported size of the Campion fortune. Junie. from Santa. diamonds blazing in the dark? Why couldn??t I just say yes? ??What did Cindy tell you??? I asked him. I loved him. It broke Henry??s heavy heart to see how hard she tried to communicate with her eyes. coming from low-watt bulbs under silk-draped lampshades. The house is home to a prostitute. referring to the reported size of the Campion fortune. don??t you know that??? ??You??re going to want this.

 ??Go on.?? I mused. Clean-cut.?? Claire squealed behind me. ??What if I told you that a witness is willing to testify that he saw Michael Campion enter your house on the night of January twenty-first? And that this witness waited for Michael because he was going to give him a ride home.?? Junie said. using every legal technique in the book. Long brown hair.?? Conklin said. diamonds blazing in the dark? Why couldn??t I just say yes? ??What did Cindy tell you??? I asked him. ??What kind of lead??? I asked without preamble.?? I pressed the phone hard against my ear. Ricky decided to cut up his body with a knife. Luckily. in fact. ??Sic erat in fatis. It broke Henry??s heavy heart to see how hard she tried to communicate with her eyes.

 Michael had said good night to his parents. I believed what she said at first. . and if that??s the best revenge . There were no track marks on her arms. AKA Junie Moon. Junie still denied any knowledge of Michael Campion. Hawk??s voice was thoughtful.?? I said.WE SAT IN A CIRCLE around the fire pit behind our rental cottage near the spectacular Point Reyes National Seashore. floral. his hair rumpled and his dear face creased with sleep. her nail polish the pale coral color of the inside of seashells. and I??m calling her in the morning for a quote. I??ll tell you what happened. The house is home to a prostitute. ga-lump.

No comments:

Post a Comment