Sunday, August 14, 2011

heard from the Spaniard there are Christians chained to the city's walls.

he stopped over me where I still lay and hovered
he stopped over me where I still lay and hovered. The Pope's protection. They charged our ranks as if on a holy mission. but never had I seen a place like this! Gold was like tin here. and blackened with grime and enemy blood? Would she still laugh at my jokes and tease me for my innocence after what I had seen and known? If I brought her a sunflower.Robert ran ahead to hurl one of the rocks toward the walls. and looked toward me. her brave smile as I hopped down the road. My body lit with her warmth. She had a song for me.She nodded. Eight massive warhorses thundered across the bridge into the center of town. House of Prostitution. women. then I remembered my own gift. On the fate of your soul. If you don't. burning. but the Turk intercepted me with a vicious kick.Themetal trade. when a raiding party from our lord's rival in Digne swept through town during the wars. surely the coming battles could test us no more than what we had already faced. and she said that I probably had one in every town.A moment later.I love you too. his brows arched.

Sanctum Christi.Civetot seemed deserted.I will come! I will take the Cross. Back toward the city gate. raiders. Nor am I. He hides in his hole like a squirrel. her yellow hair pinned up for the workday under a white cap. Professor.He grinned sheepishly.thirty.The first ram pounded into the heavy gate. At the preciousfreedom I was about to be granted at last. then merged with the ranks.Then the procession started up again. The rows of red crosses sent a shiver right through me. An anguished plea rose from the crowd. the sun blocked by a hail of arrows.I searched my mind for something to say in his tongue. Let him up. threadbare.' the traveler says. I would have to charge. toward Norcross.you are here for God's work . with a thatched crown.

? It could not be! My mind flashed back to the cheerful faces and joyous voices of the hermit's army as it marched through Veille du P?re. dragging their armor. a companion knight replied with an exaggerated sniff. We're going in. almost inexplicably. piercing the Turk with my sword. carrying clubs and tools straight from home. the small group of men Robert and I had attached ourselves to began to thin. Then. Hugh. Men simply dropped as they marched. I was sure. just because you're first at the party doesn't mean you get to sleep with the mistress of the house. but where I'm headed a woman's comb may be looked at strangely.Father. eh? I bowed sarcastically with an exaggerated flourish. fixed on my shock of bright red hair. Cries of Death to the pagans andDei leveult . the water was still no higher than the horse's ankles. as another interminable valley loomed before our eyes. Then he merely winked at me. We were at a run. Young and old. it seemed as if our glorious Crusade would end in Antioch. I felt her thin body tremble in my arms. but as we got closer.

Why don't we see what his protection is truly worth. for those who put aside their earthly possessions and join our Crusade. I could scarcely breathe myself.Now I was free. I laughed above the din. a vassal of Bohemond. Our weapons came together in a mighty clang.As it did.. You smell it. Mayhem was still rampant in the streets. I turned and took a long last look at the inn. Oh.The massive Turk. The sound of shouts and vicious fighting erupted from inside. but as we climbed.Then I did a little hop.thirty.Norcross seemed delighted. slowly depleting. Full battle gear. Something from this moment that I would have for the rest of my life. You don't look like much of a Crusader. And you too. We'll throw in two bushels of carrots!I was about to go on-a joke. It seemed impregnable.

That's who we fight for. Guillaume turned around and waved. knights and soldiers.I have to go.I searched his eyes for panic. I thought I saw something there that in that instant mirrored my own thoughts. they were overrun and slaughtered to a man. working around the inn.Everyone in town stood and stared.. a human soul.There's one more thing.mapmakers. taught me Latin. She hurried to the table by the hearth. God had taken me where I belonged..How could I leave her? How could I be such a fool?You'll come back. next right. If this was how it would be. as Sophie and I lay in bed. I was twice the boy's size. Their temples.What did flash through my brain was the incredible irony of it all.The old man looked up at me and shook his head.Without my noticing it at first.

Loud. an old Greek. the sun blocked by a hail of arrows.. I stepped over to the body of the man who had spared me and looked. I tried to sound cheerful.But look. whatever dream of freedom or wealth had brought me here. the boy stopped in his tracks. That was it! Our men were inside. with a thatched crown. many thousand strong.In a flash he was gone. And to God.I'll be back in a year . if only I could hold her one more time. unsure look.At last we stood in the land of the dreaded Turk!The first fortresses we encountered were empty and abandoned. An eternity in Heaven at the feet of our grateful Lord. Hugh? Nicodemus called out as we made our way along a particularly treacherous incline. The man staggered.My attacker hesitated.The bastards are welcoming us.. God had taken me where I belonged..

the loss of my friend weighed greatly upon me. dozens of turbaned riders flashing long. It was only luck to avoid death at any point. his eyes like fiery coals. they recounted. I swear it.Nico.I searched his eyes for panic.He peered over the edge and swallowed.And there was Robert with his goose. I'll save you a spot. calling his name. Kill the pagans and sit with the Lord in Heaven. looked him in the eye. I ran. we passed through Veille du P?re. My body lit with her warmth.Where you're headed. and from within. That whatever God had in store for us. Are the mapmakers taking notes?I never knew that a peacock would so take to water. people shouted. When we hit the mountains. wildly gasping for air. We'll throw in two bushels of carrots!I was about to go on-a joke. The lucky among us were slain where they stood.

This madness just wouldn't stop!On the steps of the altar. my lord. like one of those multitudes prophesied in Isaiah or John. Georges was my friend. The Turks fled like rabbits.She stopped and smiled at my plain flax tunic and calfskin vest. People were running into the square. Robert claimed to be sixteen.Robert! I screamed. I prayed as I ran that my back would not be ripped apart by a Saracen arrow. God had taken me where I belonged. Frank.A trumpet sounded the call to arms. I have something important to talk to you about. into the craggy mountains of Serbia-each step slow and treacherous. Something my life in Veille du P?re had stilled but not completely put aside.Freedom . Hugh.The lead Tafur delivered one more blow to the bloody mound.They passed by me on their way to loot the church. They were marked by a cross burned into their necks. while our nobles fought and bickered among themselves. dead. but they fell halfway up the walls and in return brought volleys of spears and Greek fire. a few stragglers appeared. his military chief.

I had traveled in my youth. Do we finally get to pay them back?Sharpen that knife.Was this possible? Was it possible that in the midst of this carnage I had found a soul kindred to my own? I looked into his eyes: this beast that only a moment before was set to chop me in two. I had to see Sophie again. But soon we understood it was not embarrassment but the weight of Guillaume's armor that was preventing him from pulling himself up. cut through the rising peaks. I begged. It appeared to be gilded with gold and it was studded with what looked like rubies.The giant man hesitated. Are you taking notes?The raucous laughter continued for a time as we waited for the knight to emerge. But then he was overwhelmed.It was love at first sight for us.thirty. Well. One of the ram carriers went down. I was about to say. running from house to house. the mistress of a cleric who could no longer hide my presence. as if he were evaluating whether to leave me in the same condition as the Turk. Hundreds of fortified towers guarded each segment of an outer wall that appeared ten feet thick.We focused on the eastern wall. and the rest of us trudged like beaten livestock in the blistering heat and bargained for what little food there was. it's not just God who watches over you. either pierced or rolling on the ground trying to smother the flames on their bodies. and much worse. Nothing ever happened here!I was struck with a kind of wonderment.

What's going on? Robert looked around. What flashed through my mind was the devastating raid by marauders just two years before. There was a traitor inside Antioch.The despicable knight laughed at our priest.Good Lord . Different from a moment ago. And holy relics worth more than a thousand inns like ours. At first I thought it was just slaughtered livestock. jongleurs. `Please.It was a slaughter. maybe four feet long. they were not defending themselves. a heralded fighter. I am sure. The animal's hind legs spun. Oh.. Do not forget your pledge. You better tell him. He grinned. the nobles urged. Guillaume turned around and waved. Tafurs. We'll throw in two bushels of carrots!I was about to go on-a joke. He must've thought he was about to dispatch a complete idiot to the Almighty.

Food was down to nothing. Then she ran away. One false step would mean a grisly death. would she kiss my bright red hair now that it was filled with gore and lice?My queen. a shroud stained by the tears of Mary and the very lance that had pierced the Savior's side on the cross. which attested not so much to their religious fervor as to their urge to inflict pain.Suddenly I heard a rumble from above.Until we were free. I was a different man. She and I had always shared everything.He nodded. What a glorious adventure awaited.Her golden hair down to her waist. wandering among burning buildings.hundreds of them . And there was something that I missed from those days. we fitted the comb's halves together and made a whole. stay by me.These Tafurs reported to no lord among us. In it was a change of clothes. he shrugged to his comrades.How could I leave her? How could I be such a fool?You'll come back. but we needed water badly. and the mood in the ranks brightened with anticipation of what lay ahead. no doubt. thinking of how I would describe it all to Sophie.

in full armor. I instructed him. every ridge ripe with ambush.. it was said. which dipped deep beneath the surface of the river. horsemen at their tails. he had the reputation of being a bit of a soothsayer too.They were not rocks at all-but skulls. we advanced toward the massive walls. their towns now under Christian flags. Nicodemus glanced at me.. he boasted. Professor. God will reward you. just go through that door.' she says. Norcross smiled.Constantinople. there is a third sign. every twitch of her nose. even if you try and deny it. gripping the sheer stone as huge rocks crashed around us.We've got to get out of here. eager not to miss out on the loot.

Even the men!I had traveled across Europe in my youth and had played most of the large cathedral towns. was next to me in line. Who knows what I might find there? There are tales of riches just for the taking. perhaps sixty yards wide.you are here for God's work . he boasted. God will watch over me. then merged with the ranks.It is their awful singing the Turks will turn and run from. I saw that same knight. I recognized him as Guillaume.The trail we walked was flat and manageable.A silence ensued.She took it. and streets paved with polished stone. one nonbeliever to another.At what I was dying for..Sophie. Foot soldiers were hurling their lances up at the defenders. with its huge glittering domes. to ask God for the forgiveness of my sins. Foot soldiers were hurling their lances up at the defenders. brandishing a makeshift knife. and told of the fate of Peter the Hermit's army. Free!I started to laugh once more.

and gruesome gasps escaped from their wretched mouths. a full life. We said good-bye to Constantinople. Blood and gore soaked the ground everywhere. To Georges and Marie's frantic shrieks. It almost seemed funny to me: this. two miles.. Norcross held it for a moment. For a few moments. trails more nerve wracking than the last.Whatkind of God inspired such horror? Was this God's fault? Or man's?Something snapped in me. and she said that I probably had one in every town.. and hacked away at the first wave of horsemen. An eternity in Heaven at the feet of our grateful Lord.At that moment. you must kill me in the name of what we donot embrace. It could be anybody. With untold treasure and fame.Choking back the laughter. As I knelt beside him his eyes grew cloudy. another survivor recounted.As Norcross passed the miller's cowering daughter. Norcross took a hemp rope and..

I stopped her.Why had I ever come to this place? I had walked across Europe to fight for a cause in which I didn't even believe. The talk.I blinked in amazement. confused. was of treasure and glory. just sixteen. he shrugged to his comrades. your labor now depleted by a third?Georges's eyes darted about. Hugh. I didn't remember my father. I had lashed myself to a goat and placed my trust in its measured step to pull me farther on. and a man disappeared over the edge.Sir. I leaned over the dead Turk. Fresh-faced and chattering. a soldier hushed him. your labor now depleted by a third?Georges's eyes darted about. had to be dragged single file up the steep way. The useless wooden staff fell from his hand. his eyes like fiery coals.As we fled.To my surprise.It is their awful singing the Turks will turn and run from. And the second. They threw both into the middle of the square.

Then all at once a chilling roar rose up from behind the city walls. and their daughter. but where I'm headed a woman's comb may be looked at strangely. Robert took his place. was next to me in line. It almost seemed funny to me: this. A child could have seen it.What was going on?I rushed to the second-floor window of the inn I looked after with my wife. All I wanted was to get off this ridge. Norcross's sword jangled as he made his way to the frightened miller. winding passages where he sees many beautiful young nuns who smile at him. In the open.Heaven's army. I knelt down and touched his hand.No one wants to hear your silly jokes. As I knelt beside him his eyes grew cloudy. Norcross's sword jangled as he made his way to the frightened miller. their long. Then she held her half out and we touched the jagged edges together. I saw the first ram approach the main gate. a companion knight replied with an exaggerated sniff.My attacker hesitated. We pounced on him and hacked him bloody.Death after meaningless death.It was a love that was born for tears..

carrot-top. in a way I was proud. cleansing the city of anything Moslem. these Tafurs fought like possessed devils. European. `What may we do for you.Norcross seemed delighted. I fixed on a face above the main gate. You saw what happened today.I missed being free..I'll be back in a year .OUR POWERLESSNESS WAS SO OBVIOUS it was shameful to me.Hold on .They were not rocks at all-but skulls.He wants a fight.. consumed by heavy blows and disemboweling slashes..What's going on? Robert looked around. Stalls and markets were crammed with the most exotic goods. It seemed as if our whole army was being slaughtered. You're right. I could scarcely breathe myself. The Turks. have been fed to dogs; cherished vials filled with drops of the Savior's own blood.

THE WORD SPREAD like fire from battalion to battalion. Free of my illusions. six thousand strong. then turned to face their charge.I ran with my sword drawn and a loud cry. He grinned.I dragged him from the wall and we ran with all our might. face first into the river. A relic already! Nico laughed. This is the shroud of the whore who gave him life. I tried to sound cheerful. Then I saw his expression relax into the slightest inkling of a smile. He had joined the quest as a translator.But I know I ran. it was said. Make way!We scattered off the trail and turned to see Guillaume. I was only a breath away from death and yet instead of panic and fear. he shrugged to his comrades. Even my mother's mother could cross here.This is your last warning. no ladders that could even scale their height. This cross on my tunic meant nothing to me..All around me. wandering among burning buildings..

. Stalls and markets were crammed with the most exotic goods. Hortense. Then he toppled forward. I said to myself. their skin blistered from the touch of the metal. I leaned over the dead Turk. The peril of the climb was broken by a few welcome laughs. It sheared through his neck as if it were a weak limb of a tree. raiders. because I have not given you a child. word had reached us of the Pope's call. But Raymond has promised freedom to anyone who joins. but as we got closer. there was no option but to stand and fight. Red-crossed soldiers stormed through the streets.We gazed at each other with a sigh of relief. I did not. You could die. A trace of a thin.But my attacker merely took a giant step. nonsense.I felt a hole in the pit of my stomach. he had the reputation of being a bit of a soothsayer too. I looked down. His mouth curved into a sheepish grin.

I had lashed myself to a goat and placed my trust in its measured step to pull me farther on.I dragged him from the wall and we ran with all our might. the trails began to widen.As we entered the town there were corpses everywhere.Our battalions headed toward the north tower. who managed to keep up his steady stride despite a satchel heavy with tracts of Aristotle.you are here for God's work . If there's fighting.The higher we got. amused.Choking back the laughter. chillingly steep and dry of all life. I could mark them only by the sores oozing on my feet. his sword poised above my head. To my utter amazement. In the next breath I was on the ground. a teasing rhyme:A maiden met a wandering manIn the light of the moon's pure cheer. That whatever God had in store for us. kneel and take the Cross. We had heard that masses of men were leaving their families. God can keep it.Thisis Peter's army.. how I had since the first time I had set eyes on her. Nerves?The boy shook his head.It was only with Sophie that I felt truly free.

and turns down the road until he arrives at an old stone church marked St. I was sure. I will be looking especially foryourtax payment. We had marched together for a thousand miles. I had fought bravely. There.. Different from a moment ago. I heard a rustling behind me.I wanted to take something from the church with me.THE FEW SURVIVORS HUDDLED AROUND fires that night...What was going on?I rushed to the second-floor window of the inn I looked after with my wife. And there was something that I missed from those days. I begged.His sword still quivered menacingly over my head. almost inexplicably. One of the ram carriers went down.Away from the senseless killing..At intervals. A mere stumble. their long.' Now his curiosity is piqued. I clenched my fist.

wielding the dagger that was still covered with the priest's blood. dropping them as they ran. It carries your food for the next two weeks..All at once. Then he merely winked at me.I wanted to lash at the church with my sword. I screamed. I did not care about Antioch. word reached us that the fortress had fallen. Norcross took a hemp rope and. stepping into the center of the square. but in his full battle gear and on unsteady footing he couldn't hold the mount. The detachment at Xerigordon had already been done in-not by siege butthirst. Give me your hand. Reach up your other hand. again.At the same time. burst.There is the one about the convent and the whorehouse.The giant man hesitated. in full armor. Our weapons came together in a mighty clang. I heard a rustling behind me. That bird had walked across Europe with him! Many felt our luck had run out along with hers. eh.

We can do anything we want. And here they were.. I picked up a few Turkish arrow- and spearheads that I knew would be worth much back home. was of treasure and glory. I could see in Sophie's eyes that she felt it too. quickening peals-echoing through town in the middle of the day.The massive Turk.Good Lord . the hooting ceased..What has happened here? a soldier muttered.From behind came the clatter of a warhorse galloping toward us.I swear. from infidel spies. Or freeing Jerusalem. He was tugging on his knife. They were shouting. neatly fitting it back into a whole. there is a third sign.Sophie.It was a love that was born for tears. He went and cupped the face of the cowering boy in his massive hand..Her golden hair down to her waist.TWO DAYS LATER.

maybe her husband. brave souls? The monk reached out his arms.Infidels unlucky enough not to be killed on the field of battle were handed to them like scraps to a dog.But just as the man's spear was inches from my throat. I no longer knew what was inside of me. taking the Cross. the Spaniard Mouse remarked. From behind. I laughed above the din.As it did. I laughed above the din. I ran.Then a torch waved over the north tower. The Turks. another survivor recounted.He grinned sheepishly..Slowly. Children playing ball in the square dived out of the way. After my discovery. his sword poised above my head. and said. spaced at intervals equal to a man's arm span. her shy blue eyes unable to hide from mine. Today.'Yes.

Oh. wasn't it? Or. One was Nicodemus.Before this day I had never taken a life. The Turks fled like rabbits. I could mark them only by the sores oozing on my feet. I said.Just a few days before. Or freeing Jerusalem. how will you continue to pay your tax to the duke. which was starting to fill up. Jesus.But I know I ran. Then she ran away. we were told. a few of her feathers left in a cart.. Are the mapmakers taking notes?I never knew that a peacock would so take to water. the sooner we can set our brothers free. we were told. I will come!I saw Matt. I tried to pivot around Robert. Word has reached him that a rabble passed through here a day ago. I couldn't hold it down. the most hostile I had ever felt in my life. uncared for.

European. My heart went out to him. Then.It was the greatest multitude I had ever seen! Jammed along the narrow road into town.I wanted to take something from the church with me. I tried to pivot around Robert. I reached for the priest's wooden staff. I thought of gaining our freedom. she was Christian. I peered into the bastard's black eyes. Freedom..It was the greatest multitude I had ever seen! Jammed along the narrow road into town. A sea of body parts. spitting words I recognized. tearing at their sizzling faces and eyes.. another tax levied upon us. You'd better go.. but we needed water badly. I told him.In battle. seeing the old man slipping off the edge. Everyone was shouting.I've heard from the Spaniard there are Christians chained to the city's walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment