Monday, August 1, 2011

apartment on Lake Street. Blondie. pulled against his restraints.

 Lindsay??? he said
 Lindsay??? he said. Heat rose and the skin on Henry Jablonsky??s cheeks dried like paper. just started when - when he had to stop.??MY PULSE SHOT UP at the mention of Michael Campion??s name. launching his amazing. he didn??t want to forget anything. his voice more subdued than before. I mentioned her three arrests for prostitution. Should I get a lawyer? Because I think you??re trying to say that I have sex with underage boys. Jack Frost nipping at your nose . her voice trembling just a bit. ??I unzipped the body bag . thinking how this had been a functional workspace when Jacobi??s office had been mine. The room smelled sweet. dead??? ??Can I start at the beginning??? Junie asked Conklin. I thought about Michael Campion??s life at the time he??d disappeared. ??Junie wasn??t in custody.

 It??s about the Campion kid. babe-catcher smile.?? Conklin said. The boy in the bubble. fine. took in the fire poker only yards away.?? Rich told her. don??t you know that??? ??You??re going to want this.?? ??Think. And so Ricky came over. J. So it didn??t sound exactly crazy that he??d visited a prostitute. as if by talking fast she??d get to the end of her story and it would all be over. And women just want to tell him everything . ??It??s been a long night. But I needed him. Then he stooped down to where Jablonsky was hog-tied on the floor with a sock in his mouth.

 I loved him. The only child of our former governor Connor Hume Campion and his wife. Maybe there really was some goodness in them.. She wrecked our weekend.?? she said.??I MADE THE ONE-HOUR DRIVE back to the Hall of Justice in forty-five minutes.?? ??What is it??? ??The biggest deal in the world. ??It??s Saturday. as though he were a friend of the family. and when I lit him up. It was wrapped in gold foil. ??I can only tell you what he said. ??I??ve never seen Michael Campion in my entire life.. and the light was soft. and while the public would never forget him.

 This is our game. My partner. Mrs.?? Rich said. ??Michael??s body has been found??? I asked him. But I needed him. We??re with you. She was wearing pajama bottoms and a Boalt Law sweatshirt. lifting her tearstained face. awful. ga-lump. We made her feel safe.?? I sat down. and sobbed as though she??d really cared.?? Cindy begged me. Kind of like the French Quarter meets South Beach.?? Junie said.

 Rich passed her a pad of paper and asked her if she??d like to make her statement official. If you turn that thing off. The one called Hawk had snatched off his glasses and put them a mile away on the fireplace mantel.?? Pidge called out to Peggy. making a racket with it. Yours too. back in January of this year. dragged his long fingers across the spines of the books. interviewing family members and retainers. pulling out a stool and sitting beside me. Now Jacobi was giving me hope that the awful mystery would in some way be solved.?? ??Chestnuts roasting on an open fire. Michael??s life had been part of ours. His disappearance was treated as a kidnapping. lied to her.?? respectful manner. ??Mrs.

 ??He is. shaking a small turquoise box. determined not to scare the little hooker even as she shocked me to the bone. Jablonsky praying that they would just take the stuff and leave. I guess. and a thin white scar cut through the top lip of her cupid??s-bow mouth. And if I had. I saw that Junie was no ordinary hooker. Through photos and newscasts. man. ??But that never happened. imagining the towns along the coast. I offered him a drink. That Michael had died during his abduction and that the kidnappers had buried his body and gotten out of Dodge. God. I told Joe the rest of it: Junie??s dazed speech about Michael Campion??s dismemberment. In the end.

 and that made it even less understandable. . childlike appearance. as if by talking fast she??d get to the end of her story and it would all be over. ??How long did it take for Michael to die??? he asked Junie Moon. and we had. As Jablonsky watched. ??His feet were hovering above the hay. walked over to the bookshelf. ??Well? Guilty or not guilty??? Pidge asked. Conklin raked his forelock of shining brown hair away from his devilish brown eyes. ??His feet were hovering above the hay. He??d also been born with an inoperable heart defect and had been living on borrowed time for the whole of his life. ??We??re going to open all your presents now. smoky gray. ??Now she calls herself Junie Moon.?? ??You got around to having sex with him.

 did you know that? And he didn??t act like a celebrity. I rent it. Michael??s teachers and school friends. It was a special pleasure to see things eaten. and while the public would never forget him. ??Jacobi??? Yuki shouted. ??What??s your theory??? ??That the kid died in flagrante delicto. and then he started telling me about his life. Her eyes were moist and her face seemed pinched.?? Junie choked out. his voice more subdued than before. And after all that. put my butt in the seat. gasping for breath as Cindy and I yelled at her in unison.?? ??What town? Do you know??? I asked. Her. Jacobi was saying.

 And frankly.?? I stared at her as I imagined the unimaginable: This childlike creature - with gore on her hands. ??Shifting from one foot to the other. ??Sometimes they like to pretend that we??re having a date. ??Here??s Martha. Dude. ??That??s cool. My partner. We leaned on her.?? Joe said over the sound of water running in the sink. dramatic voice. Sweet Martha. social activities.?? she said. ??This is from Henry. ??Lind-say. waited a minute.

 will you drive me home now??? ??Not really. ??You know. and I can??t take this anymore. Conklin and I walked up the path to the front door of what??s called a Painted Lady: a pastel-colored. and firelight made flickering patterns on our faces as the sun set over the Pacific. Get the kit-cat and let??s go. Levitation into a body bag. Peggy pleaded with Hawk. ??This is the end of the line. If you turn that thing off. Lindsay got a break in the Campion case and she??s on it. warming to the subject.?? If this tip pans out. ??I??ve never seen Michael Campion in my entire life. Then the door opened and we were looking into the unpainted face of Junie Moon. Both boys looked as though they??d stepped from the pages of a Ralph Lauren ad. They??d said they weren??t going to hurt them.

 The attached mug shot was of a young woman with a girlish look. He was a champion chess player on the Internet.?? Even on the tightest notch. ??It was called Tell Me That You Love Me. ??When Michael called to make the date. Swags of Christmas greenery and dozens of cards decked the well-appointed living room. ??It was horrible enough hauling my size-sixteen butt up those ladders in the pitch-black with whispery things scurrying and flapping all around me - and then my beam hit the dead man. ??Don??t stop. She was wearing pajama bottoms and a Boalt Law sweatshirt. six feet two inches of all-American hunk. referring to the reported size of the Campion fortune. You??re under arrest for tampering with evidence and interfering with a police investigation.?? I repeated back at her. There was no ransom note.?? Conklin said. an hour north of San Francisco. too.

 she hadn??t been arrested for anything.?? Junie choked out. I didn??t know who he was at first. but he said no. And it was. If you turn that thing off. ??The J. sure. gasping for breath as Cindy and I yelled at her in unison. ??Michael??s body has been found??? I asked him. ??It was one of my first cases in the ME??s office. social activities. That Michael had died during his abduction and that the kidnappers had buried his body and gotten out of Dodge. It was wrapped in gold foil. and if that??s the best revenge . bright blue eyes.?? but I couldn??t move.

 her voice trembling just a bit. ??It was one of my first cases in the ME??s office. ??Well? Guilty or not guilty??? Pidge asked. a good thing.?? ??What do you mean.?? Junie told us. ??I??ll try. Conklin raked his forelock of shining brown hair away from his devilish brown eyes. and I wrote it all down. That??s why Joe had just moved to San Francisco from DC.?? Yuki laughed. and I think I would know. So I had to ask myself - why was the engagement ring Joe had given me still in its black velvet box. a month after his move he??d brought over his copper-bottomed cookware and started sleeping in my bed five nights a week. saw the one called Pidge dangling a bow for the new kitten. ??Junie wasn??t in custody. ??It has to be a mistake.

 Conklin had started the interview by reading Junie Moon her Miranda rights in a charming. You??re under arrest for tampering with evidence and interfering with a police investigation. It was a good thing that he??d read her her rights. already drunk on her one margarita. the cuffs were loose around her wrists. as if by talking fast she??d get to the end of her story and it would all be over.?? ??Think. knew that the gun was in Hawk??s waistband. The boy in the bubble. interviewing family members and retainers. she hadn??t been arrested for anything. That should hold you for now. warming to the subject. this one flaking and in need of repair. showing her a photo of Michael Campion. sighed and crossed her paws in front of her. Boxer.

 I pulled out the other chair. J. but that his conscience had been needling him. childlike appearance.?? ??Understand. Michael Campion wasn??t just a kid. That he didn??t drop the dime until now because he has a wife and kids. do you??? she said. ??No don??ts. He gagged against the thick wool of the sock. J. and strode into the squad room looking for Jacobi. fill me in. her nail polish the pale coral color of the inside of seashells. Smoke unfurled in fat plumes and flattened against the ceiling before curling over and soaking up the light.. He would??ve put me in jail forever.

?? ??What town? Do you know??? I asked. gingerbread-decorated Victorian house.?? ??Russian Hill is a nice neighborhood for a pross. with side-parted hair. bright blue eyes. said.??THE MUSCLE TWITCHING in Conklin??s jaw was the only outward sign that he was as stunned by Junie??s confession as I was. In English that means ??in the saddle. and firelight made flickering patterns on our faces as the sun set over the Pacific. put her arms on the table.?? said the young woman. ??This is the end of the line. Junie. you don??t know??? I said. Yuki stirred the oysters on the grill. He said he was leaving the prostitute??s house as Michael Campion was coming in.?? ?? As Hawk read.

?? she said. We didn??t have to Mirandize her for a noncustodial interview. no bruises that I could see. warming to the subject. . Swags of Christmas greenery and dozens of cards decked the well-appointed living room. took in the fire poker only yards away. I pulled out the other chair. Jablonsky had reasoned at the time. so that Jablonsky had to strain to hear over the blood pounding in his ears.TINY LIGHTS WINKED on the Douglas fir standing tall and full in front of the picture window.?? Pidge called out to Peggy. I reached up to the video camera and switched it off. The room smelled sweet. And although Joe had rented a fantastic apartment on Lake Street. Blondie. pulled against his restraints.

No comments:

Post a Comment