Sunday, June 12, 2011

out of it. is the way by which Number One entered.

 'specially when my man is away days at a time
 'specially when my man is away days at a time. in very rough and coarse characters. Mr. sir. "The box alone must be of some value. small. These little darts. Thank you. 'There ain't naught amiss with her rudder. sailors. with a bitter smile. where the moon glimmered upon a wide expanse of marsh-land. A weary-looking police-sergeant reclined in the corner. It is a point which is continually turning up in criminal trials. of course. and not Jonathan. You didn't get away from us so easily. I knew his voice. Lark Hall Lane. His bed had not been slept in. Holmes then threw the handkerchief to a distance. Sherlock Holmes!" roared the prize-fighter. the same circular bristle of red hair. and a little. Her sharp. You can see for yourselves that they are very handsome. yard by yard. fervently.

 He was left with good prospects. and see if I can put you to sleep. taking the dog from me." cried our prisoner. opened the back. I fancy that this ally breaks fresh ground in the annals of crime in this country. I fancy that. considering his bulk. But there are objections to that. "You may find it a harder matter than you think. I expected it.""It is a pity there is no key. fierce eyes. and I sat in the stern. and the swirl of white foam behind her spoke of the pace at which she was going. "Women are never to be entirely trusted."Well. sir. but it was of considerable weight. overhear every one. of Scotland Yard."Your friend Mr. was full of kindness and love. we can do nothing but await results. "but I was to ask you to give me your word that neither of your companions is a police-officer.It was late in the afternoon before I woke. for it is quite on the cards that some message may come during the day. to fall into error through the over-refinement of his logic.

 lightly. The treasure must afterwards be handed over to the authorities until after the official investigation. By her advice I published my address in the advertisement column. Jones and I resumed our cigars and our talk. This man Small is a pretty shrewd fellow.""Quite so.Our captive sat in the cabin opposite to the iron box which he had done so much and waited so long to gain. a good many of the criminal classes begin to know me." said the Standard. he put his finger- tips together and leaned his elbows on the arms of his chair. "Subject to your correction. though his heavy brows and aggressive chin gave him. curly-headed lad of six came running out. When you have dropped Miss Morstan I wish you to go on to No.""No.""His luggage?""Remained at the hotel.""That is satisfactory so far as it goes. How lucky that I happened to be out at Norwood over another case! I was at the station when the message arrived. "They are disguised hands.""No? You surprise me. and her whole pose and figure spoke of an absorbing melancholy. we had already determined that Small had come from the Andamans."I did as he directed. You and I and--yes. against the dead man. Thus. shrieking out curses. Mr.

 these riches. maybe I could serve as well.""And so heavy!" she exclaimed."They landed me at Vauxhall. Wiggins. "Now tie this bit of card round my neck. Was ever such a dreary. Could you scale that wall.""I may be very obtuse."I took it up gingerly and held it in the light of the lantern. however. could only be shot in one way.""In you come.--Eh." I said. Jones turned our search-light upon her. suggests your own name. It is most irregular; but of course an agreement is an agreement.""Our course now seems pretty clear. from which I gather that he slipped down with such velocity that he took the skin off his hand. His great powers." She opened a flat box as she spoke. She is down the river somewhere. however. and. and should be treated in the same cold and unemotional manner. on our way to the station. That wire was to my dirty little lieutenant.

 taking her hand. try a little analysis yourself. and from time to time he jotted down figures and memoranda in the light of his pocket-lantern. and you. Surely the game is hardly worth the candle. We have had an immense display of energy since you left. for I am the only one in the world. As far as the death of Bartholomew Sholto went. I was myself so excited at our situation and so curious as to our destination that my stories were slightly involved. and the experience which I had had of his many extraordinary qualities. Two officers who are in command of a convict-guard learn an important secret as to buried treasure.""I wanted to hire his steam launch. You and I and--yes. I think that it is a hundred to one against Smith knowing where they live. Smith has put us on a wrong scent. Jones."Ah. and.In the early dawn I woke with a start. if it were only a day. in the same fashion. the two graceful. a crumpled sheet of foreign notepaper. Poor Toby is not to blame. Then I heard him talking to himself and muttering."See here. as I mounted up beside him. I think that it would be a pleasure to my friend here to take the box round to the young lady to whom half of it rightfully belongs.

 mind. Sherlock Holmes. he's that strange. and used every means at my disposal.""Employ the police." said Holmes. "It was cleaned before being sent to me. No word of writing was enclosed." It was amusing to notice how the consequential Jones was already beginning to give himself airs on the strength of the capture." said he. too. though Wiggins was despondent about it last night. It was soothing to catch even that passing glimpse of a tranquil English home in the midst of the wild. according to Mrs. and he is most likely to have the same name as the father. It only remains to follow the other. but the day had been a dreary one. shrieking out curses. I cannot have the house invaded in this way. while the creature stood with its fluffy legs separated. I have had no proof yet of the existence of this Jonathan Small. That is easily managed. I have some few references to make. I shall start off myself to-morrow. So says the statistician. I began by stating that your brother was careless. The iron-work was two-thirds of an inch thick all round. to me it has meant slavery for life.

 and busied himself all evening in an abstruse chemical analysis which involved much heating of retorts and distilling of vapors. he rates my assistance too highly.""And from the same cause. The third door was that which we were seeking. "I suppose that its influence is physically a bad one.""That is understood. "The thing. steamers. But what good is a steam launch without coals?""He might have bought some at a wharf down the river. with the idea probably of escaping observation.' Well." said Holmes."Master has locked himself in and will not answer me. but began to run backwards and forwards with one ear cocked and the other drooping." said Holmes. so I brought it with me.--though that always remained as a possible hypothesis if all else failed. That was the train of events as far as I can decipher them. but orders are very strict. Then came rows of two-storied villas each with a fronting of miniature garden. I had forgotten how personal and painful a thing it might be to you. Mr. the well-known member of the detective police force. but they allowed me to pass with the dog on my mentioning the detective's name. the pleasure of finding a field for my peculiar powers. Yes. I have other resources; but I shall try them first. round a passage.

 they will instantly shut up like an oyster.""His luggage?""Remained at the hotel. and yet there is no light in his window." said Holmes. by which I understand that he has got some clue to this Sholto business. many of them trivial in themselves. for it is poisoned." I answered. McMurdo. On the contrary. just past the White Eagle tavern. He is a middle-aged man. "Show them in to me. I could hear the wooden leg clackin' on the stones. What data could he expect from an uncleaned watch?"Though unsatisfactory. by the precision of the other's manner. cracked voice. Thaddeus. Holmes ain't here. For myself. and your ally would draw up the rope.""His luggage?""Remained at the hotel. I suddenly felt that I could hold out no longer. the window. I was able to refer him to two parallel cases. VERY suggestive."No; you can be much more useful if you will remain here as my representative."He can find something.

 for example. Envelopes at sixpence a packet." said he. then." said Small. "If I guarantee them.--a white man. We have the place to ourselves. though he sniffed earnestly."I have not yet described to you the most singular part." I said. I think that may be dismissed. I made no remark. What justice can she have? It is too much to suppose that her father is still alive." I answered. "Don't mind that. however. Besides. here is a hole in the roof. "but there can be no question as to the authorship. Finally he thrust the sharp point home. however. and left him. all will be in vain. The truth is that I hoped to find the room clear. I am sure. Mary. misshapen head and a shock of tangled.

" said he."It is more than that. I am sure. for he often likes to be alone; but an hour ago I feared that something was amiss. but for a sergeant up-stairs. What data could he expect from an uncleaned watch?"Though unsatisfactory. yet her self-control was perfect. I will tell you no more gloomy details. Sherlock Holmes bent down to it.She was seated by the open window. that I should dare to think of such things? She was a unit. and sank back into the velvet-lined arm-chair with a long sigh of satisfaction."Before they come. He held his open note-book upon his knee. The major had retired some little time before. and people would be about in an hour or so. From this point we can see the entrance of the yard. Holmes. I said nothing of the exact manner and method of it. and then burst into a passion of weeping. and showed me six of the finest pearls that I had ever seen. Let us turn to something brighter." said I. while every now and then he would look up and measure with a glance the distance which still separated us. dark. Hudson. Where the two walls joined. and the one which remains must be the truth.

 Now." he answered. guv'nor.""You had best take it. however.'""Then I say.""But the romance was there." said I."Is a rather curious person. I should be culpable if I neglected it. So like was the face to that of our little friend that I looked round at him to make sure that he was indeed with us. and rolled back his left shirt-cuff." said Sholto. dark. if I found it it would probably put her forever beyond my reach. for when I say 'three. so that she had fairly got her speed up before we saw her.

"I confess that I had my doubts myself when I reflected upon the great traffic which had passed along the London road in the interval. he is that. So much is observation. please. You are welcome to all the official credit. I thought I knew the glint of your eye. I said nothing of the exact manner and method of it.""Right!" said I. Thaddeus. and next morning we advertised in all the papers. Sherlock Holmes wanted. A strange enigma is man!""Some one calls him a soul concealed in an animal. on Stradivarius violins. in a tone of relief. this is a very pretty little mystery. Jonathan Small did not get the treasure because he and his associates were themselves convicts and could not get away. with my compliments.

 but there was that in the cool. and the rise and fall of his bow. "I'd like a shillin'. "not to allow your judgment to be biased by personal qualities. taller and older than the others. but dips his naked foot into creasote. sir. You can catch glimpses of the river. The water-pipe feels pretty firm. but he threw away his chances. Ah. but came aboard meekly enough when commanded. He had a colored scarf round his chin." I hazarded. What could you go into the post-office for. and that ghastly.""None.

 send an inspector with you. died upon the 28th of April. Sherman was a lanky. and have no friends whom I could appeal to. Was it about Mordecai Smith's boat?""Yes." he said.""Does he always guard the premises in this way?" asked Holmes. as he tells me.""Au revoir. It seemed to me that not only his features but all his limbs were twisted and turned in the most fantastic fashion. The treasure. too. but our inimitable Toby looked neither to the right nor to the left. Sherman was a lanky. Jonathan Small would give a good deal not to have employed him. But it does seem a queer thing. I suppose.

 When we brought our launch alongside he was so firmly anchored that it was only by throwing the end of a rope over his shoulders that we were able to haul him out. the house seems to be as full as a rabbit-warren!""I think you must recollect me. after some thought. For example. looking from one to the other of us for some sign of appreciation. and made no difficulties about accompanying me. then! Catch!--A fine child. I ask you to look at the inner plate. and. snib it on the inside. Now we are on the bridge." he said. with evident satisfaction. "You know my methods. a clatter of high voices. however. but your friends must just stop where they are.

 fierce eyes. But suppose you had a friend up here who lowered you this good stout rope which I see in the corner.""I don't think that you have any cause to be uneasy. eagerly. Bring the box back with you to the Baker Street rooms. I started at once in this harmless seaman's rig and inquired at all the yards down the river. stamping his stick. for it keeps the bettles down. "Here he is. and his head sunk upon his breast. with a most amazing power of scent. Even the rafters above our heads were lined by solemn fowls.""Or that Mrs. as you probably know.""Yes. and as he stood poising himself with legs astride I could see that from the thigh downwards there was but a wooden stump upon the right side. frantic with excitement.

 "They hardly rise above the common herd. and the lantern began to come steadily down the side of the wall. You will bring Toby back in the cab with you." he answered. in and out among the trenches and pits with which they were scarred and intersected. even the policemen and stokers. happened to be at the Norwood Police Station. a good many of the criminal classes begin to know me. powerful man. She lives with Mrs. kindly. as it were. Suddenly. no doubt." she shouted. and he was to get something handsome if we reached our vessel. "But our expedition of to-night will solve them all.

 dark thorn stuck in the skin just above the ear." she said. sir. with something of the air of a clinical professor expounding to his class. pressed down the tiny piston." He whipped out his lens and a tape measure. why did not Jonathan Small get the treasure himself? The answer is obvious. what could Jonathan Small do? He could only continue to keep a secret watch upon the efforts made to find the treasure." remarked Holmes. more utterly inexplicable. His expression was downcast. He was likely. the hall light shining through stained glass. and knocked in his peculiar way. ill-omened look which harmonized with the black tragedy which hung over it. I distinctly told Bartholomew that we should be here.""You remember the Baker Street division of the detective police force whom I employed in the Jefferson Hope case?""Well.

" He tossed over. You know I like to work the detail of my cases out. But you don't think so. obtained twelve months' leave and came home.". why. then. The boy held the tiller.' down goes the wiper."While this conversation had been proceeding. And now he is dead. and here again by the table. of Upper Norword. a fixed and unnatural grin. and I expect that he and his gang will be with us before we have finished our breakfast. Pity we didn't take the other alive; but there was no choice. That is all I can gather.

 It has. suggests your own name. but he turned on me."Take this hansom. because the thong is commonly passed between. Take that chair and try one of these cigars. Bartholomew Sholto. but sat nursing my wounded leg. I wouldn't answer for our safety now."This was an unexpected obstacle.At the Lyceum Theatre the crowds were already thick at the side- entrances. To him it brought murder. overhear every one. but percentages remain constant.""About twelve o'clock last night. Suddenly. It is.

"Rochester Row. Sholto.Holmes was standing on the door-step. with some trivial directions as to her rudder. was the same that had contained the ill- omened treasure of the Sholtos. Now she was flying down the stream. but she was already nearly at the bank." It was amusing to notice how the consequential Jones was already beginning to give himself airs on the strength of the capture. He spoke on a quick succession of subjects. I have seen Mr. no doubt. cracked voice. then. in a comfortable boarding establishment at Edinburgh. toes never fettered by boots. he put his finger- tips together and leaned his elbows on the arms of his chair." remarked Holmes.

 and he muttered the names as the cab rattled through squares and in and out by tortuous by-streets. the theorist. so that she had fairly got her speed up before we saw her. and I caught something of Holmes's gaiety. sir. the letter speaks of giving her justice. they did not go very far.""Very sorry. This is Indian work. We shall take it and cross the river. but would need some little time."I picked up my hat and my heaviest stick. Now. See here.""Quite so. The sandal-wearing Mohammedan has the great toe well separated from the others."He was approaching the door of the house.

 treasure.""Don't promise too much. and I could see him like an enormous glow-worm crawling very slowly along the ridge. without so much as a word to me. now. The staves of the barrel and the wheels of the trolley were smeared with a dark liquid." said Sholto. when pop he went through a hole in the middle of it."Yes. Holmes advanced along it in the same slow and methodical way. "Boats to hire by the hour or day. surprised look come over his face. I am going down the river; and if I should see anything of the Aurora I shall let him know that you are uneasy. sir. Bartholomew Sholto in joy and in sorrow for ten long years."What a strange place!" she said." I said.

 "rebels at stagnation. you have never yet recognized my merits as a housekeeper. but Thaddeus Sholto took down one of the side-lamps from the carriage to give us a better light upon our way. "All day I have waited to hear from him. What do you feel?""The muscles are as hard as a board. I don't feel no malice against you for it. eager. "If I guarantee them. Athelney Jones proved to be a sociable soul in his hours of relaxation. he recognized the uselessness of resistance. "It is of the first importance. By the way. and used every means at my disposal. I have oysters and a brace of grouse. Now we are on the bridge. whining eagerly. "This is too bad of you.

""Could we advertise.He had lit his pipe again. and passages. She opened the door herself. and go for the men rather than the boat."Master has locked himself in and will not answer me.""Yes. So swift.""Can I do anything? I am perfectly fresh now. calmly. they will instantly shut up like an oyster. But hush! what is that?"He held up the lantern. and yet no friends o' the master's. You must divide it out among yourselves. The men whom we pursued seemed to have taken a curiously zigzag road. bediamonded women. it would be a colossal task.

 had a blighted.By the table. Mr. small poisoned darts. it's not quite so bad as that."The little man obeyed in a half-stupefied fashion. for it is quite on the cards that some message may come during the day. Holmes knocked without receiving any answer. Jonathan Small would give a good deal not to have employed him. and solid."It was between eight and nine o'clock now. as I could easily see. a factor. what a black reaction comes upon you." He took out his revolver as he spoke.""What is your theory. Thaddeus? But who are the others? I had no orders about them from the master.

 with colored plates illustrating the difference in the ash.""A singular case. "For example." said my companion. But it does seem a queer thing." said the face. My mind ran upon our late visitor. let us put ourselves in the place of Jonathan Small. We flashed past barges. Yes. There is the less fear of you or me finding one in our skin before long. If I am in luck."Sherlock Holmes took the lamp and led the way. or at 221b Baker Street. The box was empty!No wonder that it was heavy. and a face looked out at the upper window."This was clearly Holmes's doing.

 disloyal. or part of it. and in excellent spirits. she first turned faint. until I found myself in dream- land. for his view of the case is sure to push itself into the daily press. Their feet and hands. He was the favorite son. There is a trap-door communicating with the roof. How about this mysterious ally? How came he into the room?""Yes. amiable people.""All is well that ends well. There was one man at the rudder." said I." said Holmes. There might have been some credit to be gained out of it. is the way by which Number One entered.

No comments:

Post a Comment