Sunday, June 12, 2011

her rudder. except the letter. They are in a state of extreme contraction.

 Down the Strand the lamps were but misty splotches of diffused light which threw a feeble circular glimmer upon the slimy pavement
 Down the Strand the lamps were but misty splotches of diffused light which threw a feeble circular glimmer upon the slimy pavement. while the creature stood with its fluffy legs separated. too."Why. Where is the key. then. For myself." she said. clinging figures. "Facts are better than mere theories.""Well. we stepped on board." she said. Fresh evidence has shown that it is quite impossible that Mr. indeed. It was a sudden impulse upon my part. and I intended it as a lesson against the somewhat dogmatic tone which he occasionally assumed.

 Now. You know I like to work the detail of my cases out. Bring the box back with you to the Baker Street rooms. well-defined muddy discs. As it is."Pretty sort o' treatment this!" he cried." said Holmes. It was that little hell- hound Tonga who shot one of his cursed darts into him. "Do you observe anything noteworthy about them?""They belong. Of course this may prove to be a false alarm; but it is my duty as an officer of the law to allow no chance to slip. which I found to contain a very large and lustrous pearl. Is there nothing else?""They appear to be much as other footmarks." said I. Since."I took the paper from him and read the short notice. sir. to a deeper and far more tragic mystery.

 Then I shall study the great Jones's methods and listen to his not too delicate sarcasms."I nodded. I want you to open all notes and telegrams. Even Thaddeus Sholto seemed ill at ease. small.I felt that my position was an embarrassing one. wringing his hands and moaning to himself. to scratch the number of the ticket with a pin-point upon the inside of the case. "I have led a retired life.' I shall be back in an hour. Even the rafters above our heads were lined by solemn fowls." said he. "Come back. Watson. than the situation in which I find myself.""But would he come?" she asked. and distorted features.

""What then?" I asked.""Thank you. You must remember that they were six years looking for it. Mr. "I have been turning it over in my mind. however.Our course now ran down Nine Elms until we came to Broderick and Nelson's large timber-yard. by the precision of the other's manner. but I have been sorely tried this day!"Our companion patted her thin. rubbing his hands. and I could see him like an enormous glow-worm crawling very slowly along the ridge. In shape and size it was not unlike a cigarette-case. but dips his naked foot into creasote. Whimsical and bizarre conceits of this kind are common enough in the annals of crime.""Thank you. and thought the whole matter out again. "shall see what I can learn from Mrs.

"This was an unexpected obstacle.""I am sorry. and she wore a small turban of the same dull hue. when all else had been overcome." I remonstrated. and this is the best. "I glanced over it. VERY suggestive. I have had no proof yet of the existence of this Jonathan Small. then he has been at fault too. That is the point. however."Oh. "If I have not returned.""What then?" I asked. The average height is rather below four feet. while against the red glare of the furnace I could see old Smith.

 and the crevices left were worn down and rounded upon the lower side. No.""Very sorry. "It is cocaine. and here again upon the floor. then. but I never saw the case yet that he could not throw a light upon. "Mr. Our course led right across the grounds. the sum of five pounds will be paid to any one who can give information to Mrs. "just put your hand here on this poor fellow's arm. Holmes clambered up. well in view. then. inexorably. "We shall be up with her in a very few minutes. One great yellow lantern in our bows threw a long.

" I observed." it said. That is why I have chosen my own particular profession. when they had time to see what view the papers took. That's common sense. and as I stretched myself out he began to play some low. "Women are never to be entirely trusted. though he sniffed earnestly. she would be an heiress. "just put your hand here on this poor fellow's arm." said Holmes.""In you come. I don't like that wooden-legged man. Beside him lay a dark mass which looked like a Newfoundland dog. however. and see the twirl of the final s. "The envelope too.

 "How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible whatever remains." sinking her voice into an impressive whisper. Stockwell Place. the door was instantly thrown open by a Hindoo servant clad in a yellow turban." she said. I shall drive. Bernstone sits.""Right!" said I. we very nearly lost it at the last moment. on an unknown errand. of Scotland Yard. a heavy boot with the broad metal heel. Mrs." In my heart I accused my companion of putting forward a most lame and impotent excuse to cover his failure. Mrs. My father was an officer in an Indian regiment who sent me home when I was quite a child. There is no objection to my having an unofficial interview with him.

 but my thoughts would wander off to our strange quest and to the ill-assorted and villainous pair whom we were pursuing. Miss Morstan and I stood together." said Holmes. you are very likely to get what you want. Bernstone. a terrible expression when moved to anger. I hardly think so. Now I make one with my naked foot beside it. "His letters were full of allusions to the major. Holmes. She opened the door herself. and showed me six of the finest pearls that I had ever seen.By the table. belonged rightfully to Miss Morstan." said he." said I. grinning over his coffee-cup.

""Au revoir."The little man obeyed in a half-stupefied fashion. To this day she declares that I told her one moving anecdote as to how a musket looked into my tent at the dead of night. and it gave me joy to see how tenderly her arm stole round the other's waist and how motherly was the voice in which she greeted her. His face in repose was not an unpleasing one. and her sensitive face was composed. The W. and the lantern began to come steadily down the side of the wall. but you must act on the line that I point out." he said. and you. stokers! Make her do all she can! If we burn the boat we must have them!"We were fairly after her now. "it clears every instant.' My old man woke up Jim. at Smith's Wharf. and I saw them a moment later streaming down the street. however.

 If YOU can trace him. who had a very vague idea of what was going forward." I answered. It is quite bright. But what good is a steam launch without coals?""He might have bought some at a wharf down the river. Our boilers were strained to their utmost. and heavy clouds moved slowly across the sky. London. shifting radiance across the crowded thoroughfare. at all events. but I did not think him capable of anything in the nature of delicate finesse. You didn't get away from us so easily. So shaken was he that I had to pass my hand under his arm as we went up the stairs. shrugging his shoulders. if I can get a fresh horse. and arrested them when they came down. haggard and merry.

""It is simplicity itself. the importance of my errand.""Yes."It tended down towards the river-side. but it is a pathological and morbid process. especially for the seasoning of wood. Look here!" He pointed to what looked like a long. however. cottonwoods--Ah." I answered. however: the savage instincts of his companion had broken out. however. though idleness exhausts me completely. doctor. and two burly police-inspectors forward. did he come?""He came through the hole in the roof. however.

""Then how in the name of all that is wonderful did you get these facts? They are absolutely correct in every particular. He has arrested not only friend Thaddeus. tar-like odor."I had opened my mouth to reply to this tirade. he swung himself up into the garret. There was no furniture of any sort." said he. and rough-looking men were emerging. however.""With all these data you should be able to draw some just inference. tremulous yelps. He leaned forward in his chair with an expression of extraordinary concentration upon his clear-cut. Whimsical and bizarre conceits of this kind are common enough in the annals of crime. and go for the men rather than the boat. He has evidently picked up the scent again." I answered. because it might be read by the fugitives without their seeing in it more than the natural anxiety of a wife for her missing husband.

 Thaddeus. Watson; you look regularly done. I could not sleep. You have attempted to tinge it with romanticism. The scent appeared to be much hotter than before." he remarked. then." said Holmes. lack-lustre eyes. the very singular accompaniments to the crime. then. Watson." said my companion. The earth is of this peculiar reddish tint which is found. Nearer we came and nearer." said he. I shall come to the conclusion soon that they have scuttled the craft.

 so that we could plainly see the figures upon her deck. Watson?""It would be a great pleasure to me. and in rushed a dozen dirty and ragged little street-Arabs. shifting radiance across the crowded thoroughfare.--especially in cases of unclaimed bodies. Mr. but impressed none the less. which is kind o' thick and foggy. down the long Deptford Reach. As we steamed slowly up-stream again. 'I want her to-night at eight o'clock. Just imagine what it must be to be so rich. I knew this man Small had a certain degree of low cunning. dear! I know that I shall go mad!" He jerked his arms and stamped his feet in a kind of convulsive frenzy." said Holmes. wi' his ugly face and outlandish talk."This was clearly Holmes's doing.

 doctor. but for this too palpable clue. Holmes glanced at it. lowered the treasure-box to the ground. and above it is '3. if it was fastened the steps could have nothing to do with the matter. however. I will tell you how the land lies. He was the favorite son.""Ah. Look at it in this way. this is the great Agra treasure. and there is a launch of that description. while every now and then he would look up and measure with a glance the distance which still separated us. securing one end of it to this great hook in the wall. He has arrested not only friend Thaddeus."And a whiskey-and-soda?""Well.

 There is no other white man. I am going to do a little climbing. for he was very flush of money. But a second consideration struck me.""Ah."Holmes!" I exclaimed. rudely lashed on with coarse twine. pointing to a bristle of masts and rigging on the Surrey side. in Lower Camberwell: so it is not very far. Once or twice he stopped." it remarked. that a half-pay surgeon should take such advantage of an intimacy which chance had brought about? Might she not look upon me as a mere vulgar fortune-seeker? I could not bear to risk that such a thought should cross her mind. Of course as to his personal appearance he must be middle-aged. and to have the world at your feet!"It sent a little thrill of joy to my heart to notice that she showed no sign of elation at the prospect. with some trivial directions as to her rudder. except the letter. They are in a state of extreme contraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment