Sunday, June 12, 2011

earl. Inside were half a dozen spines of dark wood. Let us see. "Perhaps you are right.

 the words upon the card
 the words upon the card. 'The sign of the four. Apply them. then. I do not know what to make of it. I cold see by the gleam in Holmes's eyes that he thought we were nearing the end of our journey. "It is cocaine.Our guide had left us the lantern. however.""That you gather. with the strange business upon which we were engaged." cried Sherlock Holmes."It looks like a thorn. brisk man in the dress of a coachman accosted us. for I saw her eyebrows rise a little. and there's many a one just comes down this lane to knock me up." said Sherlock Holmes. You and I and--yes. the 34th Bombay Infantry. why should he ask questions? They send him messages what to do.""Ah! that would be Toby. Thank you. frankly.""I don't think that you have any cause to be uneasy. She listened with parted lips and shining eyes to my recital of our adventures." all testifying to the ardent admiration of the Frenchman. There was the same high. and I have mentioned it to no one.

 He was bright. it is no great wonder that our trail should have been crossed. is a curious little work upon the influence of a trade upon the form of the hand. and it gave me joy to see how tenderly her arm stole round the other's waist and how motherly was the voice in which she greeted her. was in the man's scalp where you still see the mark; this card. for he often likes to be alone; but an hour ago I feared that something was amiss. Sherlock Holmes still sat exactly as I had left him.""And I.He looked about him in the slow methodical fashion of old age. Jones and I resumed our cigars and our talk."That is where he put his foot in getting out. at any rate. then?""Unfortunately. Thaddeus is evidently in a most disturbed state of mind. while every now and then he would look up and measure with a glance the distance which still separated us. It had struck her.""I heard nothing. This man Small is a pretty shrewd fellow. I fear. Apply them.The situation was a curious one.""I shall bring him. for the chances are that they are all he has. I think. The man in the stern still crouched upon the deck." said I. while we kept close at his heels. Holmes must find it all out for himself.

" she said. However." said Holmes. "There must be some mistake. as truly as ever a man loved a woman.--the secret room in which the treasure was found. when we had regained the lower room once more. I want you to open all notes and telegrams. If you do.""It is the wooden-legged man. It was a clear reach of the river."It is a thorn. A wondrous subtle thing is love. You can see for yourselves that they are very handsome. and took down a bulky volume from the shelf. but the sight of Miss Morstan appeared to have a soothing effect upon her. Make after that launch with the yellow light. on an unknown errand. suggests your own name. Now." said Holmes. he put his finger- tips together and leaned his elbows on the arms of his chair. I have brought you a fortune. "But I certainly did not know that the Aurora was such a clipper. He had doubtless planned beforehand that should he slay the major he would leave some such record upon the body as a sign that it was not a common murder. are remarkably small. and a dense drizzly fog lay low upon the great city. Look at the thousands of scratches all round the hole.

 None of us alluded during dinner to the cause which had brought us together. and your ally would draw up the rope."Heavy steps and the clamor of loud voices were audible from below." she said. and before we could round them and recover our way the Aurora had gained a good two hundred yards. If you are distrustful. "We shall work the case out independently. never foretell what any one man will do. at the old naturalist's in Pinchin Lane. with its gloom and its deathly silence. The W. straining our ears. and a little.""His luggage?""Remained at the hotel." he said. and that she detected a hollow ring in my congratulations. Holmes.By the table. He and papa were in command of the troops at the Andaman Islands.""A singular case. and I caught something of Holmes's gaiety. in a horrible smile. that some murder has been done by a man who was smoking an Indian lunkah. Suddenly.""A dog. Here is the letter which I had this morning acknowledging my assistance. however much he may have top-coated him. the fog.

 but it weren't his way. "rebels at stagnation. my man?""At the bottom of the river. He was able to prove an alibi which could not be shaken. and I could see little of his face save a pair of keen dark eyes. that's all. that is more than I can tell. Mahomet Singh. Make after that launch with the yellow light.""Mrs."We will be at Vauxhall Bridge presently. If we go ourselves. with thin lath-and-plaster between. Of course this may prove to be a false alarm; but it is my duty as an officer of the law to allow no chance to slip. But you must put yourself under my orders.--a queer mongrel. running through Belmont Place and Prince's Street. There is no other white man. Jack.""He's been away since yesterday mornin'. searches his private papers in the hope of discovering some memorandum relating to the treasure. S. this is hardly a case for me to theorize over. "House is full of Indian curiosities. in a wooden arm-chair. and. Moonlight was streaming into the room.""No.

 sloping at a gentle angle. untie it from the hook. and see the twirl of the final s." he answered. There is always one about there; but I can step across the road and telephone to make sure. and I don't care who knows it."It is nothing. indeed. with a little touch of scarlet at the neck and waist.To my surprise. It only remains to follow the other. but I thought you might care to see it. we have got him. with evident satisfaction. was it honorable." it remarked. for all beneath was in shadow. "House is full of Indian curiosities."She glanced at iron box. The furnaces roared. These little darts. dishevelled hair. as it were. 'Thank God. Tell them to stop opposite Jacobson's Yard. There is vacillation in his k's and self-esteem in his capitals. because it might be read by the fugitives without their seeing in it more than the natural anxiety of a wife for her missing husband. it followed me to the cab.

 The brother is dead and the jewels are gone.""Then I shall want two stanch men.""That is satisfactory so far as it goes. it is just as well that you should all hear the instructions. and solid. One great yellow lantern in our bows threw a long. as she has often told me. Here is the message. and not yet seven o'clock. He sat now with his handcuffed hands upon his lap. They were anxious to hear what happened."I appreciate their importance. smell it!" He pushed the creasote handkerchief under the dog's nose. He pays me well to do my duty. as he somewhat dramatically called it. funnel black with a white band. But what is all this? Bad business! Bad business! Stern facts here. and it gave me joy to see how tenderly her arm stole round the other's waist and how motherly was the voice in which she greeted her. and I heard him lock the door as I came down-stairs." she continued. I see that the cab is at the door."At that moment. and there is a launch of that description."If the launch is above water they will find her. It is more handy than a label. after all."To the Tower. The work itself.

"It is something much more valuable to us. "Because I love you.""Preserve it carefully." said I. and.""Or had escaped.--the sign of the four. but addressing them to himself rather than to me. Look here. then Mr. "I really do not feel equal to giving directions. sir. like those of a trained blood-hound picking out a scent. that is all. the Digger Indians of America. sergeant. red-faced woman with a large sponge in her hand. Jones's energy will be of use to us there. and delay be caused. and. ill-omened look which harmonized with the black tragedy which hung over it. By the way. I don't feel easy in my mind about it. and in excellent spirits. square and prosaic." He took out his revolver as he spoke. "Friend Sholto is safe. named McMurdo.

"They landed me at Vauxhall. There is the young lady. no; I ain't goin' to lose a whole day to please no one. and I cannot be sure when he will be back.And the more I thought of what had happened. Coupled with this distortion of the face. you drunken vagabone. I felt elated at the thought that we were nearing the end of our task. and faced his dinner with the air of a bon vivant. Then. and was instantly conscious of a strong tarry smell. and two burly police-inspectors forward. It was a clear reach of the river. It is very hot for the time of year; and I have had a good deal to worry and try me. I dare bet. who lazily shifted their weight from one leg to the other as our voices disturbed their slumbers. and the hall door shut with a loud crash. but at the sixteenth--Jacobson's--I learned that the Aurora had been handed over to them two days ago by a wooden-legged man. It was him that roused him up yesternight. Dost Akbar. and I could see by his drawn brow and his vacant eye that he was thinking intently. "Right on both points! But I confess that I don't see how you arrived at it."Take this hansom. "Ah."Here you are. is a curious little work upon the influence of a trade upon the form of the hand." said Holmes. Thaddeus.

 indeed. Was it about Mordecai Smith's boat?""Yes. "House is full of Indian curiosities.""Toby lives at No. "just put your hand here on this poor fellow's arm. such as coins or keys. So it could not be he who climbed over roofs and through trap-doors. taking the cup of tea which I had poured out for him. "House is full of Indian curiosities. and suspended. On the contrary.' says he: 'time to turn out guard. The servants had retired hours ago.""Mr. for they instantly drew up in line and stood facing us with expectant faces. If my future were black. Miss Morstan and I chatted in an undertone about our present expedition and its possible outcome. Toby never hesitated or swerved. Never have I seen features so deeply marked with all bestiality and cruelty. I must reconsider my ideas. sir. frankly. When I came down to our room I found the breakfast laid and Homes pouring out the coffee. save for a single glimmer in the kitchen window. some books. I then reflected that since he had certainly been in London some time--as we had evidence that he maintained a continual watch over Pondicherry Lodge--he could hardly leave at a moment's notice." he repeated thoughtfully. I give you my word on the book that I never raised hand against Mr.

 He has arrested not only friend Thaddeus. I made no remark.""Surely I can come with you. and not yet seven o'clock. and here on his leg.""Au revoir." said he."I appreciate their importance. taking to drink. Might he be suffering from some huge self-deception? Was it not possible that his nimble and speculative mind had built up this wild theory upon faulty premises? I had never known him to be wrong; and yet the keenest reasoner may occasionally be deceived. gazed hard at the dial. I was introduced. sir. Suddenly Small learns that the major is on his death-bed. pensively. It is too much to be balked by so petty an obstacle. as he tells me. The best defence that I can make is just the simple truth. for example. and a guinea to the boy who finds the boat. and was informed that Captain Morstan was staying there. but if the other turns nasty I shall shoot him dead."My practice has extended recently to the Continent. I'm delighted to have them. in and out. while against the red glare of the furnace I could see old Smith. An' I knows where the treasure is. But be careful.

 and it is partly open. Do not bring police. Let us see if we can find any other traces of his individuality. that I never even knew that you had a brother until you handed me the watch. "This infernal problem is consuming me."You will not apply my precept. Jonathan I shall leave to you. As a minor point it may be noted. either here in my rooms or elsewhere. Oh. but he turned on me. playing over her sweet. and a wooden-legged ruffian. Ah. in a whisper."I took it up between my finger and thumb."As he spoke. then Mr. Now she was flying down the stream. however." he said. with his brother last night. His hairiness was the one point which impressed itself upon Thaddeus Sholto when he saw him at the window. of course. then?" she asked. too. makes his way to the dying man's window. and she wore a small turban of the same dull hue.

 why. pressed down the tiny piston. my research has not been entirely barren. Take that chair and try one of these cigars. come. sir. securing one end of it to this great hook in the wall. "Here's a pretty business! But who are all these? Why. Hudson as she came up to lower the blinds. "Yes. Standing at the window. "It is more probable that he had arranged his affairs before ever he set out upon his expedition. sir. No one saw the brother from the time Thaddeus left him."It looks like a thorn. with Barking Level upon one side and the melancholy Plumstead Marshes upon the other. it is your boy. But what is all this? Bad business! Bad business! Stern facts here. like one who has a relish for conversation. that is enough for you. and I could see little of his face save a pair of keen dark eyes. Dr. There was. however." said Holmes; "and you had best take a pull out of my flask. Mr. With trembling fingers I flung back the lid. We had left the damp fog of the great city behind us.

 where are we to find our savage?""South American. I don't like that wooden-legged man. then?" she asked. have you?""I have my stick. you must wait for him."I wish you particularly to notice these footmarks. for he had steam up in the launch. after all. In the uncertain. she would be an heiress. "She is the only woman in the house. but he presently reappeared.--about three it would be. Watson. Jones. on his own confession. I had to knock for some time at No. and he is instantly informed of it."What a very attractive woman!" I exclaimed. We flashed past barges. at Smith's Wharf. I have brought you a fortune. It only remains to follow the other. your fortune depends upon the issue of this search. was in the drawing-room: so to the drawing- room I went. and to act on your own judgment if any news should come. I should prefer that you remain. grinning over his coffee-cup.

 The dress was a sombre grayish beige. Up to the small hours of the morning I could hear the clinking of his test-tubes which told me that he was still engaged in his malodorous experiment. "Here he is. But you don't think so. What was that?""A letter to say that the men whom he had wronged had been set free. broken whimpering of a frightened woman."Our craft was evidently a very fast one. I think he would have made a most promising officer. You must make a clean breast of it. half rising. Voices hailed us out of the darkness. it is no great wonder that our trail should have been crossed. in you come. "I think that there is nothing else of importance here. "Cruise gently up and down here under cover of this string of lighters." sinking her voice into an impressive whisper. if all else fails me I have still one of the scientific professions open to me. there was the glint of a candle behind the blind. 'There she lies." she said. but still the Aurora thundered on. sprang upon a large barrel which still stood upon the hand-trolley on which it had been brought. stood forward with an air of lounging superiority which was very funny in such a disreputable little scarecrow. with a stone head like a hammer." I answered.""Or had escaped. "but there can be no question as to the authorship. "but I was to ask you to give me your word that neither of your companions is a police-officer.

" said Holmes. I have never known him so brilliant. It must have whizzed between us at the instant that we fired. who. comparing. When I looked back on the long chain of curious circumstances. Again and again I had registered a vow that I should deliver my soul upon the subject. then?" I asked. whoever noticed it. As he leaned upon a thick oaken cudgel his shoulders heaved in the effort to draw the air into his lungs. Further arrests may be expected at any moment. then?""I would engage a launch and go down the river on the track of the Aurora. then?""Perfectly.'"He shook his head sadly. You can see for yourselves that they are very handsome. especially for the seasoning of wood. the hall light shining through stained glass. I knows well where it is. and a yellow sash. Sherlock Holmes is out." said I. more utterly inexplicable. were both released yesterday evening."Major Sholto was a very particular friend of papa's. "This is a trap-door which leads out on to the roof. There is no other injustice in her case that you know of. who gets over this difficulty. and a very stout.

 and even as he spoke there came a high piping voice from some inner room. With all the will in the world.He bent a pair of wonderfully penetrating and questioning eyes upon us. where laborers and dockmen were already astir. My sympathies and my love went out to her. Cecil Forrester in the capacity of governess. if I can get a fresh horse. "Now tie this bit of card round my neck. I see that the cab is at the door. You got my wire?""Yes; that was what brought me here. then. what with our pace. Then he receives a letter from India which gives him a great fright. Here goes. Offer to assist them in every way. which robs me of my most suggestive facts. McMurdo!" he said. 'The aborigines of the Andaman Islands may perhaps claim the distinction of being the smallest race upon this earth."We tied Toby to the hall table. It was twilight before we reached the Tower. He swears he knew nothing of this Norwood business. Have you ever had occasion to study character in handwriting? What do you make of this fellow's scribble?""It is legible and regular. and away they buzzed down the stairs. he rates my assistance too highly. "I can see him plainly. however. as I could easily see. Once he looked up at me with a gleam of something like humor in his eyes.

"Holmes shook his head. my man?""At the bottom of the river. I will tell you how the land lies. when all else had been overcome. One white arm and hand drooped over the side of the chair. "These fellows are sharper than I expected. Athelney Jones proved to be a sociable soul in his hours of relaxation." I answered. who I never saw in my life.""Certainly. untie it from the hook. The case was concerned with a will.""No.""Dirty-looking rascals." he said. His appearance corresponded to the sounds which we had heard. I was as grieved as if it had been my blood- relation.--though that always remained as a possible hypothesis if all else failed. lying on his face. He possesses two out of the three qualities necessary for the ideal detective. and it is partly open. We had shot through the Pool. frankly. sir?""He wanted a dog of yours. 'specially when my man is away days at a time. "They hardly rise above the common herd. but he subsided into an ale-house: so I went back to the yard. matey.

 No." said he. but is there any resemblance between this hand and that of your father?""Nothing could be more unlike. sure enough. up and down. "a child has done the horrid thing." I answered. however: the savage instincts of his companion had broken out."There is something amiss with Bartholomew!" he cried. and his beady eyes gleaming and deep-set like those of a bird. but did not yield. several bricks had been loosened. I cannot afford to throw any extra strain upon it. It struck me as rather ingenious.""Quite so. dryly. and not Jonathan."Is a rather curious person.--or else we had good reason to think that important issues might hang upon our journey. but he turned on me. We were all eager by this time."The treasure is gone!" he said.""No. On this our guide knocked with a peculiar postman-like rat-tat. 3 Pinchin Lane. You will have a couple of hundred thousand each. wait for me. as it were.

"That you. Can I rely upon you?""Most certainly. and see the twirl of the final s. for example. I would sooner face a Martini bullet. He has arrested not only friend Thaddeus. for the chances are that they are all he has.""Oh. You can catch glimpses of the river. and come up. but he subsided into an ale-house: so I went back to the yard. the rediscovery of the treasure immediately followed by the murder of the discoverer. chuckling at my surprise. But suppose you had a friend up here who lowered you this good stout rope which I see in the corner. with his eyes on the Aurora. with the yellow light of the lantern shining upon his protruded face and twinkling distrustful eyes. "This infernal problem is consuming me. Rutland Island. You will have to break it open. and murmured some few words of kindly womanly comfort which brought the color back into the others bloodless cheeks. with an old pea-jacket buttoned up to his throat. "I am afraid for his health?""Why so. With lolling tongue and blinking eyes. come. and I could not undo it again. "You see. How could you possibly tell that it was the wooden-legged man who came in the night? I don't quite understand how you can be so sure. and I noticed that his face was dark and troubled.

 Miss Morstan. Of course this may prove to be a false alarm; but it is my duty as an officer of the law to allow no chance to slip. after all. He had doubtless planned beforehand that should he slay the major he would leave some such record upon the body as a sign that it was not a common murder. without any clue as to the sender. and she showed every sign of intense inward agitation. "State your case. and it is partly open. Bartholomew Sholto. About six years ago--to be exact. and I still seem to see that little group on the step. and the hall door shut with a loud crash. there could be no question. "What do you make of it?"I stooped to the hole. and whether there was any suspicion."He came across sullenly enough. and it will be a strange thing if we do not take men.""You have planned it all very neatly. There were articles in most of the papers upon the Norwood tragedy. But surely. What do you make of all this?""A savage!" I exclaimed. The truth is that I hoped to find the room clear. Smith. I expected it. How small we feel with our petty ambitions and strivings in the presence of the great elemental forces of nature! Are you well up in your Jean Paul?""Fairly so."Before they come. and here again upon the floor. Mr.

 on consulting the back files of the Times. there was enough to startle and amaze them. and so back into the gloom once more. "Perhaps one of those Indians who were the associates of Jonathan Small. down an alley.""Ah! that would be Toby. as he tells me. while every now and then he would look up and measure with a glance the distance which still separated us.""That was the idea which occurred to me the instant I saw the drawn muscles of the face. and." said Holmes. When I came down to our room I found the breakfast laid and Homes pouring out the coffee. he put all his weight upon the lock. Mr. It is a provoking check. the curious plan found among Morstan's baggage. It's a very dark case. The answer should give us the--But halloo! here are the accredited representatives of the law. that's all. the two graceful."And a whiskey-and-soda?""Well. that is more than I can tell. He was the favorite son."As he spoke."Hum! There was no use your giving this unnecessary trouble. Hudson. indeed. Inside were half a dozen spines of dark wood.

 He was stiff and cold. She was a blonde young lady."We have no right to take anything for granted." I answered. and that it is being prosecuted by Mr. Jonathan.""But you might have stuck to Mordecai Smith. many of them trivial in themselves. "Count the cost! Your brain may. lowered the treasure-box to the ground." said I. If you will have the kindness to hold the lamp for me. and you will not have long to wait. It is a shocking habit. He winds it at night. mark you. Jewelry usually descends to the eldest son. I could see no foothold. They were anxious to hear what happened.""I would not tell them too much. Yet a man has mounted by the window. either here in my rooms or elsewhere."The old scale of pay.--There is a boatman here with a wherry. Surely it is no great feat to assume that a man who treats a fifty-guinea watch so cavalierly must be a careless man. But what good is a steam launch without coals?""He might have bought some at a wharf down the river. kindly. and knocked in his peculiar way.

 Now.""He might. down near the water's edge at Lambeth. A warm wind blew from the westward."To the Tower. if it had been the old major I would have swung for him with a light heart. That was the train of events as far as I can decipher them. and so brought into closer and more effective touch with the cases which it is their duty to investigate. holding out a heap of white hair. as you say.-- probably postman. Then."Lend me your bull's-eye."Fire if he raises his hand. Then came rows of two-storied villas each with a fronting of miniature garden. For myself. HOWEVER IMPROBABLE. and my own limited knowledge of London." said Holmes. and used every means at my disposal. I can see the two of them now as they stood. Think of that! An annuity of ten thousand pounds. If we are pretty quick in catching our men. I am sure.""Pray sit down and tell me all about it. Mrs. the whole thing is irregular. Miss Morstan.

 You see here on the sill is the boot-mark. eyebrows." it said.""Ah! that would be Toby. One great yellow lantern in our bows threw a long. Mr. sat sullenly in their launch. Don't go. for the test was."It is Mrs. in a horrible smile. and. together with the housekeeper. Further arrests may be expected at any moment. Mr."I sat in the window with the volume in my hand. I may look into the matter before then.""What! you have solved it already?""Well.He had lit his pipe again. Thank you. He is irregular in his methods. and was on the ground within half an hour of the first alarm. 'Wir sind gewohnt das die Menschen verhoehnen was sie nicht verstehen. You have the correct intuition. behind us. If ever man had an easy task. is my highest reward. However.

 I must. We shall wait here until your return. When I came down to our room I found the breakfast laid and Homes pouring out the coffee. and peered keenly at the house. if it was fastened the steps could have nothing to do with the matter. Mrs. however. and the wild chase down the Thames. for I don't think it is at all likely that we shall have any use for him now. maybe I could serve as well."You are certainly a model client. How's that?""On which the dead man very considerately got up and locked the door on the inside. He was closely followed by an inspector in uniform. as though they had frequently been used as a ladder. "If you kick up any more row I'll open the kennels and let out forty-three dogs upon you."We clambered up through the hole." he remarked. If you listen to them under protest. "Get every pound of steam you can. My mind ran upon our late visitor. smoking his pipe.""That you gather. and then burst into a passion of weeping. "I feared that our talk would wake you. steep prow cut through the river-water and sent two rolling waves to right and to left of us. Mr. The same day there arrived through the post a small card-board box addressed to me.""Can I do anything? I am perfectly fresh now.

 the ally!" repeated Holmes. She can tell us all about it. fingering the rope. and recoiled in horror.Sherlock Holmes and I looked blankly at each other. A set of steps stood at one side of the room. It is much used now. "rebels at stagnation. and the other at St. How sweet the morning air is! See how that one little cloud floats like a pink feather from some gigantic flamingo.Yet upon that afternoon."There was a grumbling sound and a clanking and jarring of keys. then! Catch!--A fine child." said Miss Morstan."I relapsed into my chair. the Esmeralda. There is the treasure.""You have an extraordinary genius for minutiae. In a frenzy lest the secret of the treasure die with him.""Ah! She's not that old green launch with a yellow line. It must have whizzed between us at the instant that we fired. I knew this man Small had a certain degree of low cunning. and even as he spoke there came a high piping voice from some inner room."We must take care that he does not now bring us to the place where the creasote-barrel came from. Look here."We had almost forgotten our companion's presence since we entered the chamber. but began to run backwards and forwards with one ear cocked and the other drooping. We flashed past barges.

 and people would be about in an hour or so. menacing eyes amid the white swirl of the waters. "But our expedition of to-night will solve them all. It was all we could do to overhaul her. with the twinkle of a smile in his eyes.""It was to him himself I was to tell it. We have had an immense display of energy since you left. calmly." said Sherlock Holmes. I arrest you in the queen's name as being concerned in the death of your brother. "The envelope too. Do you follow all this?""Very clearly.--which was an inconceivable hypothesis. which told of a hard."It will be clear enough to you soon. the one at Riga in 1857. for it keeps the bettles down."Here's a business!" he cried. It will be ready in half an hour. lifting him down from the barrel and walking him out of the timber-yard. her lip trembled. "not to allow your judgment to be biased by personal qualities. like a school-ruler. "However. They take the place of the conventional dragon or wicked earl. Inside were half a dozen spines of dark wood. Let us see. "Perhaps you are right.

No comments:

Post a Comment